Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Helicopter in El Capitan meadow yesterday.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Helicopter in El Capitan meadow yesterday.
May 15, 2009 09:19AM
I was heading home out of the Valley yesterday after 3 days there and saw a helicopter landing in El Cap meadow. There were a lot of vehicles there with people and equipment, and an ambulance. The helicopter was trailing a long orange rope from underneath it.

Does anyone know what was going on? Was there a rescue going on or was it just ferrying men and equipment to the top of El Cap for some other reason? I listen to a scanner while I'm there but heard nothing about this on the scanner. Have the rangers gone to a different radio frequency lately?

Thanks,

Tom
May 15, 2009 09:41AM
I haven't heard or read anything but a lot of times they will post the rescues here...
May 15, 2009 11:15AM
It's always hard to get info on these; many rescues have become such a daily routine thing that they don't even make the newspaper.

If you're in the park, go to the food court at the lodge and talk to the park employees; they usually hear about what's going on. Other than that, you can be there while a major incident is going on and hear nothing, other than helicopters.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
avatar Re: Helicopter in El Capitan meadow yesterday.
May 15, 2009 12:22PM
Thanks for the link cornbread. I was able to look up exactly what happened when I was there late last May and saw the helicopter rescue at El Cap. Apparently the guy they rescued back then was stranded there for days... doesn't sound like fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 12:22PM by dqniel.
May 15, 2009 01:04PM
Yes, thank you Cornbread. That is a great link. I've always been totally astounded by the dedication and skills of these search and rescue people (especailly when I listen to them on my scanner). During the summer there are pretty much daily call outs for these members. Does anyone know are they made up totally of NPS employees or do employees of Delaware North get involved too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 02:35PM by mtn man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login