Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trailer length

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trailer length
May 20, 2009 12:41PM
Friends booked North Pines #200 & 201 while specifying a trailer length of 26 ft. Now I see it says "maximum trailer length 18 ft". However the driveway says 40 feet. How can I tell if my trailer will fit? Anyone familiar with those sites or have any suggestions?
Thanks!
May 20, 2009 12:43PM
Did you look at the pictures of the sites?

http://yosemitecampsites.com/northpines/index.php/200
May 20, 2009 12:45PM
Thank you. It looks pretty long. Does the 40 foot driveway length mean that is the size of the paved pad?
May 20, 2009 12:50PM
shelleylj
Thank you. It looks pretty long. Does the 40 foot driveway length mean that is the size of the paved pad?

It should mean it. But I haven't paid that much attention; I use a tent.
May 20, 2009 04:15PM
This is an interesting dilemma that I myself have looked into. I would add another 6' to their "maximum trailer length". They took into account the amount of access road room to back your trailer in if you are an amateur. Sometimes you have to come down the wrong way on the one way campground roads to get the right angle to back in. My experience has been that you can easily get into these spots that have "maximum trailer lenghts"that are shorter than your trailer, if your are skilled at backing up a trailer. Just know what the dimensions of the site are and whether it is a double wide site or not. You might have to run one of your front wheels of your towing unit over a tire burm on the drive across from you.(bring lots of short pieces of 2x4's with you to help) They probably came up with those resrictions because there is always some yahoo who doesn't have much experience backing up trailers and couldn't get into his site once and made a fuss. As a rule of thumb I always add 6' to the "maximum trailer length" and have had no problems. For example I have put my 24' travel trailer and an Expediton into #71 in Lower Pines and had no problem.(max trailer length 18')

Now here's my disclaimer so you won't sue me if you can't back into it: "I am dumber than dishwater and have no idea what I'm talking about!"

Oh and yes the 40' site dimension is the length of the driveway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 04:53PM by mtn man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login