All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Alpine hikes in the summer..
July 21, 2006 05:09PM
Me and a couple buddies are planning on going for a friday-sunday trip in august, but wanna get away from most of the crowds (yeah we couldn't have picked a better month in the year huh?) We are all from So. Cal so I wanna do a backpacking trip in the 9000+ elevation so it's not too hot in the daytime and we can enjoy some nice cold weather for once. I have never been to Yosemite before and from some of the books i've been reading, and just the nature of being a very popular park, there are very many trails. Any ideas suggestions? perhaps 15miles out/back or loop at the most...thanks.
Re: Alpine hikes in the summer..
July 21, 2006 06:01PM
I've really enjoyed hiking to Vogelsang Lake. It's off either the Lyell Canyon or Rafferty Creek trailheads out of Tuolumne Meadows, towards the south. The trails can both be a little crowded, with a lot of High Sierra Camp hikers on the Rafferty Creek trail and JMT/Mt. Lyell climbers on the Lyell Canyon trail. By crowded I mean seeing a group of people (2-6) every hour or so, but these can act as nice rest stops. Hike past the Vogelsang High Sierra camp up towards Vogelsang Pass. You'll come to a beautiful lake saddled between Vogelsang and Fletcher Peaks at 10,325'. From there you can attempt a summit of one of the two peaks, spend some time up at the pass (a gorgeous view of the Clark Range), or even hike down the pass and spend some time in the valley below. Via the Rafferty Trailhead, you're looking at a 7 or 8 mile hike, one way, if I remember correctly. Hope that helps!

Andy

avatar Re: Alpine hikes in the summer..
July 24, 2006 12:46PM
Young Lakes out of Tuolumne Meadows might do it for you. I haven't done it but I've heard you can walk up Mount Conness from the Lakes which would make a good day hike.

July 26, 2006 05:42PM
Thanks for the responses! Vogelsang is full for reservations, I planned on reserving Young Lakes from Glen Aulin but only one spot left for the 11th so I didn't want to risk winging it with four other people and not being able to get the permits.

I went ahead a got permits for Ten Lakes..Has anyone been up there recently? It's a tiny bit lower in elevation in general compared to Tuolumne but I hope the weather isn't as hot as it is right now in So. Cal.

I don't plan on doing a loop with this hike since that involves two cars..Which way should I take the trail? Just straight to Grant/Ten Lakes or through May Lake?

Post Edited (07-26-06 19:51)
July 27, 2006 10:15AM
Sorry to hear about Vogelsang, I still suggest checking it out some time in the future! I've heard that coming into the Ten Lakes basin from the West offers really spectacular views, but haven't done it so that I might provide personal verification. If you are still worried about crowds, the May Lake trail may be crowded, since it's right on the High Sierra Camp trail loop. For this hike, I would consider hiking it from the Ten Lakes trailhead off the 120 between Yosemite Creek and Porcupine Flat. Hope you have a great hike!

Andy

July 27, 2006 12:25PM
andyhughes03 wrote:

> I would consider hiking it from the Ten
> Lakes trailhead off the 120 between Yosemite Creek and
> Porcupine Flat. Hope you have a great hike!

Do you mean the Lukens Lake trailhead? I don't know of a trailhead between Yosemite Creek and Porcupine Flat.

August 21, 2006 06:05PM
eeek wrote:

> Do you mean the Lukens Lake trailhead? I don't know of a
> trailhead between Yosemite Creek and Porcupine Flat.
>

hey eeek, sorry its taken me so long to get back to you, I just got back from hiking the JMT. As I have not done the hike (or used the trailhead) that I suggested, I merely took information from a map. According to my 2002 Tom Harrison map of the Yosemite High Country, a trail runs up to the Ten Lakes area that begins at Yosemite Creek (actually just a continuation of the Yosemite Falls trail in the valley), and crosses the 120 in between Yosemite Creek and Porcupine Flat campgrounds. I bet you're right, and that while there is a trail, there may be no 'trailhead,' and therefore lacks a parking lot and bear bins. I'd be interested to know if you can verify this for me. Thanks a lot, and hope this clears up any confusion.

andy

August 01, 2006 10:32AM
Have you ever used the Lonely Planet book "Hiking in the Sierra Nevada"? They have some good hikes in that book, several in Yosemite.
http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=2031

You can get it on Amazon, too.

Do you think chances of getting a campsite in Tuolomne Meadows on a Thursday night are pretty good? I know they leave a bunch of sites first come first serve.
August 01, 2006 10:39AM
letterknit wrote:

> Have you ever used the Lonely Planet book "Hiking in the Sierra
> Nevada"? They have some good hikes in that book, several in
> Yosemite.
> http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=2031
>
> You can get it on Amazon, too.

http://yosemitenews.info/am/1740592727

> Do you think chances of getting a campsite in Tuolomne Meadows
> on a Thursday night are pretty good? I know they leave a bunch
> of sites first come first serve.

The probably be gone by early morning.

August 23, 2006 06:52AM
Hi,

The TH is at Yosemite Creek (Tioga Road x Yosemite Creek). The parking lot on the south side is paved. There is a restroom and bear boxes. The TH sigin is on the north side. To the 10lakes basin, it takes about 2.5-3hrs (hiking). If you want see the great view of the grand canyon of the Tuolumne river and Mt. Conness, do not go down to the basin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login