Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Sequoia and Kings Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon
March 21, 2007 10:02AM
Hello Everyone!!

I am staying in the Yosemite Valley in late April and I am really excited, as usual. I am thinking of camping in the Sequoia / Kings Canyon area for a couple of days prior. Does anyone have any tips or resources of campsites in that area? I am looking for the best camp to stay in late April. A site that is not too crowed or cold, but close to all the exciting areas.

Any tips would be most helpful!

Thanks!
Dan
avatar Re: Sequoia and Kings Canyon
March 21, 2007 10:34AM
Kings Canyon opens usually third Friday in April. If you arrive that day you will find maybe 10 to 20 other campers in the entire area. It's my favorite time of the year to go there, most of the trails will be open for long distances and no annoying crowds (not that Kings Canyon is ever that crowded).

There are over 400 campsites in Cedar Grove but they only open as needed. In late April they only open the Sentinal campground. Last time I was there I took up one of the 80 campsites and five others were occupied. You'll have a lot to yourself!

If it's open, you should take the Boyden Cavern tour. It's at the west end of the canyon. Website: http://www.caverntours.com/BoydenRt.htm

When you're done in the canyon I recommend the short self-guided tour through Grant Grove and then take the excellent drive to the General Sherman tree in Sequoia Park and, if conditions are right, climb Moro Rock if you're not afraid of heights.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login