Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Yosemite crowds expected to be thick this weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite crowds expected to be thick this weekend
May 21, 2009 06:12PM
With its waterfalls at their most beautiful, and wildflowers everywhere, Yosemite National Park will host hordes of people over Memorial Day weekend.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/857936.html
avatar Re: Yosemite crowds expected to be thick this weekend
May 21, 2009 06:29PM
Yup, gonnaBusy Beeone of the hordes Dancing GIrl
May 21, 2009 07:44PM
Bee
Yup, gonnaBusy Beeone of the hordes Dancing GIrl

There's not gonna be anyone around. Most people won't go off trail.

How to get to El Capitan the Bee Way
May 21, 2009 08:38PM
PoopyheadGoatie
How to get to El Capitan the Bee Way

GRRRRRRRR!

(I have my new Leki poles all ready to skewer more Manzanita...YUM)

Busy Bee
May 21, 2009 07:15PM
it took me about 1/2 to get from Curry Village parking lot, to Valley View last Saturday, i can't imagine what it will be like this weekend. YEOW!
May 21, 2009 07:16PM
forrestranger
it took me about 1/2 to get from Curry Village parking lot, to Valley View last Saturday, i can't imagine what it will be like this weekend. YEOW!

It's a good time to stay at home and look at web cams.
May 21, 2009 07:26PM
Weekdays are less crowded, right? We will be there Wed June 3 and Thurs June 4th.
May 21, 2009 07:28PM
Sort of. It's relative. Before school is out and before the vacation season mid-week is quiet. Once the season starts it's hard to tell the difference between a weekday and a weekend day

Old Dude
May 21, 2009 07:48PM
We were there Thursday, May 21, 2008, and in the morning it was very sparse, but by the afternoon it was somewhat crowded. Not objectionably crowded, but the shuttle buses were full. It was 63 degrees at the valley floor. I found out that a day or two later, it snowed lightly. I hesitated to make plans to go there in June, but I wanted to shoot for slightly warmer weather but still avoid the big summer crowds. It seems like most schools in California let out for the summer on Friday June 12, but some have already let out now.
May 22, 2009 02:22PM
Bob Weaver
We were there Thursday, May 21, 2008, and in the morning it was very sparse, but by the afternoon it was somewhat crowded. Not objectionably crowded, but the shuttle buses were full. It was 63 degrees at the valley floor. I found out that a day or two later, it snowed lightly. I hesitated to make plans to go there in June, but I wanted to shoot for slightly warmer weather but still avoid the big summer crowds. It seems like most schools in California let out for the summer on Friday June 12, but some have already let out now.

I'd have gladly traded you weather. That date sounded familiar, and looking back to 2008, May 19 we went on the hottest Half Dome trip I ever want to be on.

The big snowstorm a week or so before saved us from heat stroke, I think, but by 9AM and getting away from the river it was already getting too hot. Odd that a couple of days later you were wishing for warmer weather, but that's spring in Yosemite valley...very unpredictable.

This whole last week has been hot again, except for a big thunderstorm Monday afternoon. Tolerable in the campground and Curry area, and near the river for hiking, but way too hot to do anything strenuous, and when I left Thursday it was getting hot again. We'd have gone to Half Dome Monday or Tuesday, but have no intention of ever repeating the 80+ degrees up that trail.

At least when it's hot in July or August, you can use the river to keep cooler and busy.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 21, 2009 08:47PM
For anyone going, have fun. I'm going to pass this weekend.
May 21, 2009 08:57PM
lisa1
For anyone going, have fun. I'm going to pass this weekend.

Good idea. Last time I tried Memorial Day weekend I ended up coming home a day early.
May 21, 2009 09:26PM
During this time of year, I'd rather not be in Yosemite on a holiday. Tourists everywhere.
May 21, 2009 09:29PM
lisa1
During this time of year, I'd rather not be in Yosemite on a holiday. Tourists everywhere.

At one time did 5 day backpacks straddling the Forth of July. Those worked out quite well; no crowding in the backcountry. We arrived before the holiday and left after so didn't have to deal with crowds much at all.
May 21, 2009 09:34PM
Sounds like excellent planning. Last year, I tried to do holidays and couldn't get there early enough (day trip) to beat the tour buses. There were car and buses everywhere.
May 21, 2009 10:42PM
I like the use of the term "thick"

I'll wait till on my way back from the Postpile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login