Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Staty at which hotel is more convenicence?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Staty at which hotel is more convenicence?
May 16, 2007 02:00PM
I plan to go Yosemite on Memorial day ,but the hotel inside are all full .

Will stay at fish camp on 25th night and enter part through south entrance on 26th Morning . We will go to Mariposa Grove and Glacier point on 26th .

Also , I plan go to Yosemite Vally on 27th .

The question is , I have 2 options on 26th afternoon .

1. I come back to fish camp from Glacier point , and stay at Fish camp . On 27th morning , we will enter south entrance again to Yosemite vallay , then drive from Valley to West entrance , and stay at Yosemite View Lodge at 27th night .

2.I drive from Glacier point to Yosemite View Lodge through West entrance and stay there at 26th Night . Then on 27th morning , we will drive into west entrance again , go to Valley ,then back to View Lodge .

Which one is better ? Pls give me some advise because I have to make resversation now .

Thanks !
Re: Staty at which hotel is more convenicence?
May 16, 2007 02:57PM
Does anyone know how far the drive is from the Valley to Fish Camp?

I think it's about 30 minutes from Yosemite View Lodge to the Valley.

Carolyn
avatar Re: Staty at which hotel is more convenicence?
May 16, 2007 03:26PM
letterknit wrote:

> Does anyone know how far the drive is from the Valley to Fish
> Camp?

Fish Camp is a couple of miles south of the South Entrance. It's just at the edge of the standard park map. I'd estimate 45 min to an hour plus, depending on traffic on Wawona Road.

> I think it's about 30 minutes from Yosemite View Lodge to the
> Valley.

If I had those options, I'd probably move on to Yosemite View Lodge. However - I'd also be concerned about having all my stuff (especially food) in my car that I'm transporting. You know - bears do start looking for food when it gets dark. I do like staying at one place so I don't have to pack and unpack. That might be a more pressing concern than saving a few minutes in the morning getting to the Valley.

May 16, 2007 03:45PM
Option two is better from a driving point of view.

Day of the 26th drive from Fish Camp to Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point.
At Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point I wouldn't worry about bears during the day so much. If you are eating in restaurants then you won't have much of anything but snacks and maybe some soft drinks. Take them with you in day-packs. Wherever there is a bear problem you will find lockers to store your food. Generally if there are no lockers then there are no bears.

Night of the 26th go to Yosemite View Lodge.

Day of 27th go to valley floor from Yosemite View Lodge. Leave excess food if any at the lodge

Night of 27th go to Yosemite View Lodge.

Old Dude
May 16, 2007 05:11PM
I guess the biggest temptation is to try and maximize the daylight hours to do as much sightseeing as possible and check in later at night. Don't do that with food or toiletries in your car. I've certainly heard of Yosemite bears breaking into a car just because of the minty smell of toothpaste or mouthwash in the trunk. They supposedly peel the window frame and once in will claw at the back seats until they can reach the contents of the trunk. Try to check in as soon as you can even if that means losing an hour of sightseeing time.

It's rather fascinating how good Yosemite bears have gotten at breaking into cars. While I was in the Rockies I was told bears didn't break into cars as long as food was stored out of sight.

For some reason they love Doritos:

I also see potato chips, Dr Pepper, and a bottle of wine.

May 16, 2007 04:16PM
Thanks , buddys!

But I find that if I take option 2 , I will not have time to see tunnel view , because after I leave Glacier Point , it will be too later to see tunnel view .

So now on 26th Morning , I will go to park through West entrance , and sepend 1 day on Yosemite village and return to View Lodge at night .

On 27 morning , I will drive through west entrance again , have a good look at tunnel view , go to Glacier , then to Maripsosa Grove , leave through south entrance , then stay at fish camp .

28 morning , back to LA .

Is the plan better than first one ?
May 16, 2007 04:57PM
If one is not farmilliar with the road it's an hour from the valley to fish camp. Also, Tunnel View is awesome, but I.M.O. it's not worth a lot of planning. The hikes in the Glacier Point area deserve most of your time! J.
May 16, 2007 05:32PM
Hi, dude .

I am not going to meet the bears .
May 16, 2007 06:08PM
gzzilyicq wrote:

> I am not going to meet the bears .

I've heard that one before winking smiley

May 16, 2007 06:16PM
anyone can give me some suggestion about the new plan ?

Or better idea ?
May 16, 2007 09:36PM
I think your last plan is a very good one. You didn't mention if you're hiking (and you said "we"- are you with a lady friend?) so I will assume you're interested in short day hikes. My call is; Day 1) Nevada Fall via Mist Trail up & John Muir down/lunch at Curry Village. Day 2) Taft point & Sentinel Dome in the morning/Brunch at the Wawona hotel/Mariposa Grove in the afternoon. One of the all time great weekends! Enjoy! J.
May 17, 2007 10:06AM
Hi, Jmegnburg :

Thank you very much for your suggstion . In fact , I come with my whole family . So I think I can only make some leisure travel .
avatar Second option seems better
May 17, 2007 10:36AM
If you have young kids, I would try to minimize travel on Wawona Road. It's tight and twisty, and as a kid I would have suffered from motion sickness. Ideally I'd recommend Yosemite View Lodge for three straight nights, but it doesn't sound as if that's an option.

I just mention food storage because there's no greater buzz-kill for what should be a fun vacation than a bear breaking into your car. When I hiked there on a last day of a Yosemite trip with no place to store my food, I hauled all of my snack foods, toothpaste, soap, and shampoo with me on Upper Yosemite Falls Trail. In retrospect, Camp 4 was almost empty at the time and I could have stored my stuff in a bear box there.
May 19, 2007 02:33PM
I like to stay at either Cedar Lodge (only do this in the off-season, right now is double or triple rates) or somewhere in Mariposa (I stay at the BW at the fork in the road). I would recommend Mariposa since the commerce there has been devastated since the Ferguson rock slide, you might find a slight delay at the slide but who cares, are you in a hurry? If you are, don't go to Yosemite in the first place!

The California Mining and Mineral museum in Mariposa is a must-see. Patronize your friends!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login