Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report: Sunrise and other areas; Snow Conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: Sunrise and other areas; Snow Conditions
May 29, 2007 10:02AM
Hey all, just got back from a weekend trip up in Yosemite. TM campground is still closed, but all services (store, gas, mountain/sport shop) are open. White Wolf has a backpacker's campground for it's first time. I did a loop from Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest, down to Merced Lake, then back up to Sunrise using the non-JMT trail. Snow coverage is near 100% at the top of the switchbacks from Tenaya Lake to the trail junction for clouds rest/sunrise, but boot-prints make the trip ok. More snow on the way up to clouds rest, bust again easy to follow if you keep a well-trained eye out for boot prints. No snow on the 'valley' side of CR. No snow to Merced Lake. Minimal snow up to Sunrise HSC. The trail back to Tenaya Lake via the Sunrise Lakes, once you hit the saddle above the lakes, is 100% covered, with no prints to follow. THIS SECTION IS 100% CROSS-COUNTRY, and you will need good navigation skills to orient yourself to landmarks. Overall, consider any north-facing slope to be near 100% coverage, especially when protected by shade, above 9000 feet. Good luck, and remember, conditions change on a daily basis this time of year.

Re: Trip Report: Sunrise and other areas; Snow Conditions
May 29, 2007 10:09AM
Thanks for the information & tips. I didn't know about the backpacker's campground at White Wolf.
avatar Re: Trip Report: Sunrise and other areas; Snow Conditions
May 29, 2007 10:30AM
Thanks for the conditions report. I'm heading off in three weeks from Tenaya to about the Clouds Rest/John Muir Trail junction, and exiting through Happy Isles. I'm wondering if maybe I should bring along some snowshoes. I was in Desolation Wilderness last weekend, and came across a group with snowshoes to get over a snowed in pass. I figure it was also a good way to get used to the altitude.

I'd like to get to Half Dome and Clouds Rest. I'll be coming in to Clouds Rest from the south.

Post Edited (05-29-07 12:33)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login