Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

3-4 days, Vogelsang help!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

3-4 days, Vogelsang help!
June 09, 2007 12:41PM
Hi there:

I am wanting to do 3-4 nights in Vogelsang -- possibly from Tulomne to some of the high sierra camps, ie Merced. 12-15 miles a day on average.

A few questions:

Do you recommend the high sierra camps?

What is the ideal circuit?

I want to camp in the backcountry some. What nights of the 3-4 days would this be best?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!
avatar Re: 3-4 days, Vogelsang help!
June 09, 2007 04:31PM
Somehow this post got duplicated. See next post.

Post Edited (06-09-07 19:37)

Old Dude
avatar Re: 3-4 days, Vogelsang help!
June 09, 2007 04:34PM
gthess,
A couple of questions:

When do you plan to do this trip? Snow and high water at that elevation at this time of year might have an impact.

Are you sure you want to do 10-12 miles a day at that elevation with the ups and downs?

Do you want to have a base camp and day hike?

A suggested route that takes in a few good things:

At 10-12 miles a day you could go from TM to Merced Lake HSC, via Vogelsang HSC, for the first night. The Merced Lake HSC has a backpackers camping area.

From Merced Lake across Sunrise Creek to the trail north of Clouds Rest, up and over Clouds Rest from the north, camp at the creek at the trail junction after coming down from Clouds Rest. (second night)

In the morning knock off Half Dame, having left your gear at the campsite. Pick up your gear and follow the John Muir Trail north to the Sunrise HSC and spent night three there or you can go up the trail just to the west of the JMT to Sunrise Lakes and stay at the lakes. (third night)

Hike out past Cathedral Lakes to TM.

I would use the 4th night as a backup in case you needed and extra day for this route.

I don't know if the HSCs are open and if not open now when they will be. Bring some money as you may be able to buy diner at the HSCs.

I just checked and it appears that the HSCs will be open at the end of June except for Glen Aulin which will open on the 15th of June. By then the snow and high water should be a non-issue.

Post Edited (06-11-07 13:12)

Old Dude
Re: 3-4 days, Vogelsang help!
June 12, 2007 07:01PM
Thanks Mike! This is really helpful and I have planned accordingly. Will be there in mid-late July, so hopefully the snow melt will be in full effect by then.

-Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login