Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Cold Canyon - north out of Glen Aulin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cold Canyon - north out of Glen Aulin
June 17, 2007 10:08AM
Well,

my previous inquiries about backpacking down Lyell Canyon notwithstanding, my plans have changed (because certain work dates have changed ... long story ...) but anyhow I'm heading up to TM next weekend to begin a backpack up Cold Canyon instead.

I went there last year in late October, and darn, it was so dry and no water anywhere up there ... I couldn't really make a go at Cold Canyon.

So I'm going there a lot earlier in the season this time. I should find *some* water up there, right? Late June, Cold Canyon ... ought to be a trickle here and there ...

Anyone have an idea how upper Cold Canyon's water is?

Thanks,

Michael
avatar Re: Cold Canyon - north out of Glen Aulin
June 17, 2007 08:47PM
Just got back from a trip to Young Lakes and we went up Mt Conness. There was plenty of water in the main courses. Still some large snow patches above 11K feet even with southern exposures. A lot of the little dribletts were dry though. Cold Canyon has a major creek running through it so there should be water in it even at the end of June and July. It is going to be a dry year in any event.

Old Dude
June 21, 2007 04:12PM
Re: Cold Canyon - north out of Glen Aulin
June 21, 2007 07:33PM
Eeek,

yeah, no kidding ...

oh well, guess it's just not a household name yet ...

I've spoken to about 25 people over the last 2 weeks telling them where I'm going ... only the 3 or so that I would label passionate Yosemite past visitors ever heard of it.

EVERYONE knows where Glen Aulin is .... but few know of Cold Canyon.
June 22, 2007 04:28AM
Actually, it has been my experience that very few people REALLY know where (or what) Glen Aulin is.

Most people refer to the High Sierra Camp (HSC) as Glen Aulin rather than that "Beautiful Valley" immediately downriver from it. In fact, the HSC is not even located in Glen Aulin, strictly speaking (look at your topo map).
June 22, 2007 08:23AM
Michael,
You'll find water everywhere in June. Any blue on a topo will have water this time of year. That being said I highly recommend checking out Virginia Canyon. You'll be off the PCT at that point so not so many people will be running by... Virginia Pass and Summit Lake have great views. Virginia Pass trail is a use trail now so pretty much just go up. smiling smiley
Anyway, have fun! There isn't a trail not worth hiking in Yosemite...

Everything I know I learned from Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Cold Canyon - north out of Glen Aulin
June 22, 2007 07:49PM
Yes, I've pondered over Virginia canyon too ... we'll see how my cruisin' develops .... usually end up going where my camera goes ... (ha!)

But thanks for that recommendation!

Wow, I just heard on the radio, that a fairly cool weather front is moving in beginning Sunday ... well cool here in the Bay Area ... with Wednesday hitting some unseasonably cool temps (even some rain).

My 'uneducated' hunch is that .. as Bay Area weather goes, so goes Sierra Nevada weather ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login