Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Where to start my Half Dome hike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Where to start my Half Dome hike
July 03, 2007 01:39PM
Hello Everyone!

I am planning to climb half dome in late Aug or Sept on a weekend. I'm looking to hike the first day to a campsite, summit the next day (hopefully before the mad rush of day hikers), then return to my car and leave that same day. As of now I can not get a wilderness permit leaving from the valley or Glacier Point (I am aware I can wait in line the day prior, but I am unable to arrive any earlier).

My question to you all is:

Is there another route I can take and complete in the time allowed??

Is there a way to finish and catch a ride back to my car??

I saw the link to see when all the permits are taken for each day, but is outdated and still shows availability from Glacier Point for the day my permit request was denied. Does anyone have an updated link???

Also, how much water shall I bring for 2 days of hiking?? With the low snow pack this year I am curious about the availability of water along the route.

Thanks for all your help!

Dan

Dan
avatar Re: Where to start my Half Dome hike
July 03, 2007 02:05PM
Dan-O wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> I am planning to climb half dome in late Aug or Sept on a
> weekend. I'm looking to hike the first day to a campsite,
> summit the next day (hopefully before the mad rush of day
> hikers), then return to my car and leave that same day. As of
> now I can not get a wilderness permit leaving from the valley
> or Glacier Point (I am aware I can wait in line the day prior,
> but I am unable to arrive any earlier).

The system is what it is. If you want to reserve a popular entrance trailhead, you'll need to do it well in advance. If you want take your chance trying to get a first-come first-served permit, you'll need to show up early. It seems to be designed for people who reserve early or have flexibility in their schedules to secure an unreserved permit.

> My question to you all is:
>
> Is there another route I can take and complete in the time
> allowed??

From Tenaya Lake (Sunrise Lakes Trailhead) is about 11 miles from Half Dome. There are a few August dates and many Sept dates where it isn't full. I did this, and it's not too bad if you get a good night's sleep before heading to Half Dome.

Some people start from Olmstead Point, although it's a few miles longer. I'd recommend Sunrise Lakes.

> Is there a way to finish and catch a ride back to my car??

You might be able to flag the Tuolumne hikers bus, although that's rather iffy. I got to the Sunrise Lakes Trailhead by the shuttle (should run until August) and hiked back to Yosemite Valley.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_GuidedActivities_TuolumneMeadows.aspx

Addendum: You won't be able to manage getting a permit on your start date and manage to take the Tuolumne hikers bus on the same day. The bus leaves Curry Village at 8 AM, Yosemite Village at 8:05 AM, and Yosemite Lodge at 8:20 AM. You'll also have to buy your tickets, although the driver might do that for you if you hand over the cash. The wilderness permit stations open at 8 AM. Also - first-come, first-served permits are issued with a preferences for the closest permit station to the trailhead.

You might have a better chance in Sept when it's less busy, but water sources are going to be an issue.

> I saw the link to see when all the permits are taken for each
> day, but is outdated and still shows availability from Glacier
> Point for the day my permit request was denied. Does anyone
> have an updated link???

The only info more current is the Yosemite reservation computers.

> Also, how much water shall I bring for 2 days of hiking?? With
> the low snow pack this year I am curious about the availability
> of water along the route.

2 gallons. That's going to be a problem because that's a lot of weight. There's no telling if the decent water sources along the way will run dry. I have the suspicion that many will.

I don't think your plan is reasonable, although doable. You'll need to find a suitable camping site. Most don't recommend taking a heavy pack up the cables, and the packs I saw left at the base of the cables were raided by squirrels for food.

You might be better off doing this early as a day hike. You could leave at about 5 AM and get up to the cables by 9-10 AM. There's a lot less likelihood of a line at the cables if you can do this on a weekday. If you choose to do this on a weekend, then you'll have to put up with bigger crowds.

Post Edited (07-03-07 18:20)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login