Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Full eclipse of the moon Aug. 28

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Full eclipse of the moon Aug. 28
August 06, 2007 07:16PM
For those of you who like to look up instead of just all around, the moon will be eclipsed in full the early morning of Tuesday, Aug. 28. I would suggest Toulumne Meadows for this if you need to see it from the NP but anywhere away from city lights will work (I plan on being somewhere east of Fallon, NV).

Bring a suitable camera (puny digital cameras aren't the best, you need some serious zoom and maybe even a regular film camera for time exposures). Here are the times:

1:51 AM total eclipse begins
3:37 AM middle of eclipse
4:23 AM end of total eclipse
The eclipse will begin below the horizon on the west coast but a very good display nonetheless and it's always fun to see the moon come out of the eclipse into full brightness by sunrise.

Besides Tuolumne, I would recommend anywhere in Nevada away from Reno or Vegas, Death Valley, anywhere in Owens Valley, maybe Mono Lake South Tufa would be a good place, as would be Grandview campground up on White Mountain.

I know it's early, but having seen many of these eclipses in remote locations, it's a must see!

And don't forget the Perseid meteor shower this month, with the peak this coming Sunday (which happens to be my 46th birthday...I'll be at Devils Postpile with family from SoCal for that).

Have fun,
Vince
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login