Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Camp sites

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 21, 2007 02:15PM
having driven around the valley park a few times recently, i couldn't help but notice how some old campsite areas were shut down (from years ago). it's a shame that they did that. to restrict the amount of campsites as it is, is terrible imo. the areas aren't even really being used productively.

and another gripe i have (lol).... Yosemite Falls..... remember how there used to be a parking lot there? and now all there is , is a restroom? what were they thinking??!!! where in the world are you suppose to park your car now? you end up driving in circles trying to find one of very parking spaces that are available. ... yeah i know, they probably want you to take their bus, but i carry lots of equipment (telescope, cameras, tripods) that would be a hassle on a bus.
August 21, 2007 03:27PM
forrestranger wrote:

> and another gripe i have (lol).... Yosemite Falls..... remember
> how there used to be a parking lot there? and now all there is
> , is a restroom? what were they thinking??!!! where in the
> world are you suppose to park your car now? you end up driving
> in circles trying to find one of very parking spaces that are
> available. ... yeah i know, they probably want you to take
> their bus, but i carry lots of equipment (telescope, cameras,
> tripods) that would be a hassle on a bus.

I rather like what they did. The fresh pavement is rather nice. I do understand there were some concerns over the (Chevron) corporate sponsorship and the possible disturbance of cultural artifacts (would there still be any after years of off-trail trampling?).

I take the equipment thing in stride. I wore a 35 lb backcountry backpack with few problems on the bus. The alternative would be more cars driving around in circles looking for a spot in the parking lot. Currently, people are more realistic about the chance of finding a parking space and just take the shuttle.

Now - I'm thinking of the old condition of the paths. I hadn't been to Yosemite in years when I went in 2005 after the new path construction. The Lower Yosemite Fall paths were pretty bad the last time I visited as a kid in the early 80's. I do remember visiting Disney's California Adventures theme park with relatives in 2003. My cousin's husband noted that they were trying to simulate the experience of a California national park with the "Redwood Creek Challenge Trail", including a state of neglected maintenance. The path was complete with weathered asphalt, edges that had worn away, and tar sealed cracks. This was nowhere near the almost eerily well maintained grounds of the rest of the park. I saw employees diligently scraping gum off the pavement.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/attractions/detail?name=RedwoodCreekChallengeTrailAttractionPage

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login