Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite's giant trees disappear

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite's giant trees disappear
May 22, 2009 02:08PM
The oldest and largest trees within California's world famous Yosemite National Park are disappearing. Climate change appears to be a major cause of the loss. The revelation comes from an analysis of data collected over 60 years by forest ecologists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8063000/8063392.stm
avatar Re: Yosemite's giant trees disappear
May 22, 2009 02:18PM
And Bristlecone Pines used to grow in Mexico thousands of years ago. That climate change really is something, isn't it.
May 22, 2009 02:20PM
Vince
And Bristlecone Pines used to grow in Mexico thousands of years ago. That climate change really is something, isn't it.

What's your point, Vince?
May 22, 2009 03:07PM
Is there ever any?

Anyway... I'm a bit confused about this statement:

"White Firs (Abies concolor), Lodgepole Pines (Pinus contorta) and Jeffrey Pines (Pinus jeffreyi) were affected the most.
Smaller size trees were unaffected."

I know what lodgepole pines look like and know they CAN grow pretty large but I've never seen any huge diameter trees.
Also know that the valley used to have FAR fewer trees than it now does... maybe other portions of the park
have the same thing going on... ???

Dinosaurs roamed the earth at one time too...
smiling smiley
May 22, 2009 07:12PM
Point is...Bristlecones used to grow in Mexico, and now they don't.

And Sequoias are dying off in the Sierra. They've been doing that for centuries...now only about 70 isolated groves left.

That's the point. What's yours? Are you saying this is caused by humans? I don't think so.
May 22, 2009 07:19PM
Vince
I don't think so.

It doesn't require you to think so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login