Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Wawona tunnel rehab public review period

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Wawona tunnel rehab public review period
September 22, 2007 10:07AM
Interesting stuff. Not really sure what's wrong with it the way it is now but then again I usually only go there during off-peak times.

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_66006.shtml

The National Park Service (NPS) announces the opening of the public review and comment period for the Tunnel View Overlook Environmental Assessment(EA). The public is invited to review the document and submit written comments from Wednesday October 3, 2007, and closes Friday November 2, 2007.

The Wawona Tunnel View Overlook is a heavily used scenic viewpoint located adjacent to Wawona Road at the east portal of the Wawona Tunnel. This overlook affords expansive views of Yosemite Valley, El Capitan, Bridalveil Fall, and Half Dome that have captured the awe of visitors for 75 years.

The overlook is a historic site and was constructed in 1932 during an erathat heralded a boom in design and development throughout the National Park Service, and helped initiate the park service "rustic" design style. Wawona Tunnel and Tunnel View were determined to be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 because of their exemplary park service rustic design. Very little physical change has occurred to Tunnel View's physical features (including rockwork, circulation patterns, and configuration) since it was built in 1932. The site remains one of the most popular scenic overlooks in Yosemite National Park. Tour buses, tram tours, and single-family vehicles bring an estimated 3,000-5,000 people to the site per day during the height of the visitation season.

The purpose of the Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Project is to remedy long-standing vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian safety issues, to correct drainage deficiencies and problems, to provide clear circulation patterns for pedestrians and vehicles, to enhance and maintain viewing opportunities for visitors, to provide accessibility to viewing areas for visitors with disabilities, and to correct safety problems associated with the existing Inspiration Point trailhead, while maintaining the natural, rustic character and integrity of this historic site. Project alternatives and their environmental effects have been evaluated in the Environmental Assessment.

Public Review of the Environmental Assessment opens Wednesday October 3, 2007, and closes Friday November 2, 2007.

One public meeting will take place during the public review period, scheduled for 1:00 pm at the Monthly Open House in the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center Auditorium on Wednesday, October 31, 2007.

A link to the Environmental Assessment will be posted on the park's website at www.nps.gov/yose/planning.

Written comments should be postmarked no later than November 2, 2007.
Comments can be submitted at the public meeting, by mail, fax, email, and through the Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) commenting system. To submit written comments:

Mail: Superintendent, Yosemite National Park
Attn: Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Project
PO Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389

Fax: 209/379-1294
Email: YOSE_planning@nps.gov
PEPC: http://parkplanning.nps.gov
Re: Wawona tunnel rehab public review period
September 22, 2007 12:06PM
Going through this tunnel gives me the creeps.

I took this route earlier this year and there was a bus in front of me that made a complete stop in the middle of the tunnel. Apparently, there was a trunk in the opposite direction and the bus stopped until the truck passed. I don't know why and it had never occurred to me that two large vehicles, heading in opposite directions needed to be so cautious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login