Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: curry village showers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

curry village showers
May 22, 2009 05:07PM
whats the situation with showers in curry village? is the shower house behind the amphitheater closed still?
avatar Re: curry village showers
May 22, 2009 05:12PM
May 22, 2009 07:37PM
They show the elevation of Yosemite Valley as 4,759 feet above sea level, yet I've always read that the valley is at 4,000 feet. Where is their weather station located if it is at 4,759 feet?
May 22, 2009 08:25PM
at 4,759 ft.

whew... that was alot easier than those stinking waterfalls!
May 22, 2009 08:31PM
Where in the valley?
May 22, 2009 08:37PM
Bob Weaver
Where in the valley?

You no like?

smiling smiley

I don't get it either. The lat/long shown is directly in Yosemite Village.
I was thinking it was on Turtle Dome..
there's alot o equipment up there... but that's at 5200...

I like this one:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA9249

I find it most reliable for non-valley stuff...
May 22, 2009 08:38PM
ok thanks
May 22, 2009 09:29PM
Bob Weaver
They show the elevation of Yosemite Valley as 4,759 feet above sea level, yet I've always read that the valley is at 4,000 feet. Where is their weather station located if it is at 4,759 feet?

If you take a look at the forecast area on the map (the red square), a significant portion of it goes up the north wall of the valley. The elevation reading is undoubtedly some sort of average over that area.
(BTW, you can magnify the map by double left-clicking on it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 09:32PM by szalkowski.
May 22, 2009 09:40PM
I hope someone understands this thread; I certainly don't.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 22, 2009 09:45PM
I was just following Len's lead...
Possible showers coming into the Valley weatherwise... there's your showers...
But... why worry about the weather... just head up the Mist Trail

Basic Goat Logic
Goat Stop
May 23, 2009 04:31AM
bill-e-g
I was just following Len's lead...
Possible showers coming into the Valley weatherwise... there's your showers...
But... why worry about the weather... just head up the Mist Trail

Basic Goat Logic
Goat Stop

I wasn't taking the trail ... using the free association shortcut instead.
I'm leading? (Maybe I should have used the 75 ft. rope on that last pitch instead of the 50 ft. one.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 04:36AM by szalkowski.
May 23, 2009 06:21AM
Ok thanks... it's just a curiosity how they arrived at 4.759 feet... maybe their weather station is situated on a rock somewhere above the valley rather than the valley floor. I guess an elevation difference of 759 feet will only make a difference of a degree or two in temperature, but the microclimate of exactly where the station is located could make a difference (sunnier or shadier or windier than say the Visitor's Center, etc.)
May 23, 2009 07:43AM
Bob Weaver
Ok thanks... it's just a curiosity how they arrived at 4.759 feet... maybe their weather station is situated on a rock somewhere above the valley rather than the valley floor. I guess an elevation difference of 759 feet will only make a difference of a degree or two in temperature, but the microclimate of exactly where the station is located could make a difference (sunnier or shadier or windier than say the Visitor's Center, etc.)

[
Bob,
There is not necessarily, or even likely, a weather station in the forecast area. From what I can determine after using their website for some years, they break up their forecast area into these cells (they look about 2 miles square) and interpolate between stations using the elevation geography and their computer modeling of large scale weather patterns. If you single left-click on a different map location sufficiently removed from the displayed 'requested location,' you can move the forecast area and the elevation and temperatures change. (I managed to get several elevation readings in the valley near the 4.000k mark by doing this.)

You can also move the map around by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the map. (Obviously, I never use those stupid directional arrows and mag./demag. buttons in the upper left-hand corner of the map.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 05:27PM by szalkowski.
May 22, 2009 05:42PM
better to just hike up the mist trail...
May 22, 2009 08:23PM
i was told by a ranger recently that they were free for now, he didn't know why, but that they were.
May 22, 2009 08:23PM
btw, are they private? or do you have to shower in the same room as anyone?
May 22, 2009 08:32PM
forrestranger
There's only one showerhouse there (that I know of) still functioning since the rockslide last year. The showers themselves, including a small changing area, are private and curtained. I've never used them in summer, but try to figure out a time when folks are least likely to be taking a shower, unless you like standing in line. Just after checkout time, early afternoon, maybe at dinnertime, might work better than at, say, 4:30 PM or 8 AM.

Last year someone posted that they were charging $5, which would be outrageous but I've never been asked to pay. I suppose if you want to use their towels and inquire at the desk you may have to pay (?).

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 23, 2009 11:06AM
Sierrafan
forrestranger
There's only one showerhouse there (that I know of) still functioning since the rockslide last year. The showers themselves, including a small changing area, are private and curtained. I've never used them in summer, but try to figure out a time when folks are least likely to be taking a shower, unless you like standing in line. Just after checkout time, early afternoon, maybe at dinnertime, might work better than at, say, 4:30 PM or 8 AM.

Last year someone posted that they were charging $5, which would be outrageous but I've never been asked to pay. I suppose if you want to use their towels and inquire at the desk you may have to pay (?).

It's been a couple of years, but I thought those were stalls like a bathroom with a common floor and where each stall doesn't have its own drain. Or was I thinking of the coin-op showers at Lodgepole in Sequoia NP.

I do remember completely private shower rooms at Mt Rainer in their main visitor center in Paradise. A quarter got 7 minutes. Unfortunately they closed that visitor center and didn't build another shower room in the new visitor center. The only public showers would have to be outside the park.
May 23, 2009 12:25PM
They still have those same coin-op showers at Lodgepole in Sequoia? I used those on a trip in Oct. 1993 and you had to keep putting in quarter after quarter to keep it going. But on a morning when it was 30 degrees the hot shower was almost an erotic experience.
May 23, 2009 04:27PM
Bob Weaver
They still have those same coin-op showers at Lodgepole in Sequoia? I used those on a trip in Oct. 1993 and you had to keep putting in quarter after quarter to keep it going. But on a morning when it was 30 degrees the hot shower was almost an erotic experience.

Yep. I used it in 2007 after my Yosemite trip. Something like $3.50 for the first 5 minutes and a quarter (before it stops) for each additional minute. The only thing was there's no countdown timer to tell you if you have enough time.

I liked the now defunct Mt Rainier shower rooms. Only a quarter, but with this strange wind up system. The knob had to be cranked all the way first clockwise, turned back until a soft stop counterclockwise, the quarter inserted, then turned full counterclockwise until it stops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 05:47PM by y_p_w.
June 16, 2009 08:54AM
Anyone been to the Valley since the last post above?
I'm curious about the shower situation this year myself.
With the mobs that descend there for the summer season, you have full capacity at Curry, Housekeeping and the Campgrounds, but one less shower house available (and a large one at that).
Have they plopped down any temporary 'shower trailers' anywhere (like they did when they remodeled the Curry shower house by the pool a few years back)?
Are they still charging $5 for a shower this year?
I've been camping in the Valley in the Fall for 15+ years, and last year was the first time I encountered a shower house attendant on duty regularly collecting the $5 for the first time in many years. Usually, by then a lot of their summer help has left and they're shorthanded, and don't have the personnel to spare, to have someone sitting around all day...
June 16, 2009 12:06PM
There appeared to be only the one older shower house when I was there in Mid May. Part of Curry's cabins are no longer in use, so I don't know how much that affected the amount of use, but Curry and Housekeeping were full and I didn't have any problem finding one. I do try to go at low traffic times; if you go just before dinnertime, good luck.

As for a charge, I don't know, didn't ask, and no one was there demanding payment. Summer may be different, and I could see why they'd charge for day visitors to use them, but campground dwellers, no way I'd pay $5. I'd use the sink first...

Gary
May 22, 2009 09:08PM
about how many are there? (just a bad guess will do).
May 22, 2009 10:49PM
forrestranger

21, probably qualifies for the 'bad guess'.

Gary
May 22, 2009 10:53PM
forrestranger

One less than needed.
May 23, 2009 02:39PM
As of a couple of weeks ago when I was there, yes, the large shower house up behind the ampitheater are roped off and closed.
June 17, 2009 01:49PM
I was there end of may into june and they were charging $5. I can't say what they were doing at the housekeeping showers, but at the pool they were. If you go before 7am or late night after 10pm they don't have an attendant there. I was able to get in there most of the time with my backpack on and just say I needed to use the restroom. I think it is ridiculous to charge $5 for a shower.
June 17, 2009 02:44PM
Thanks, If it was $5 at Curry, then it's $5 at Housekeeping still as well. I agree, $5 is a bit much. I've found it to be hit and miss as to when there's an attendant on duty, at least in the Fall.
I'll miss the Nob Hill shower house that has been closed, with it's individual shower stalls. The recently remodeled shower house by the pool has adjoining shower stalls with like 12" or so gaps at the bottom, so when you're done showering and trying to dry off, you wind up getting your legs splashed from the water of the person still showering in the next stall. angry smiley Grrr!
I guess they designed it that way so the workers can hose the entire thing out easier.
And over at Housekeeping, the shower stalls are OK, but there's just one dinky sink in the shower house with no shelf, so you have to shuffle over to one of the Housekeeping bathrooms to find space to shave and brush your teeth and such...
June 17, 2009 02:52PM
we camped in Hospitality. No one charged us for a shower. no one checked if we belonged there.

We did need a shower pass piece of paper to get free towels.

but if we walked in to the shower no one stopped me.
June 17, 2009 02:55PM
PineCone
Thanks, If it was $5 at Curry, then it's $5 at Housekeeping still as well. I agree, $5 is a bit much. I've found it to be hit and miss as to when there's an attendant on duty, at least in the Fall.

It's a $5 fee to use the pool too. Is suppose one could work both the pool fee and the shower (usually included in most pools use fees).

So what do the attendants do? It's only one shot? I'd think a waterproof wrist-strap should be good for all-day use including the shower room.
June 17, 2009 03:46PM
michaelg
we camped in Hospitality. No one charged us for a shower. no one checked if we belonged there.

Just to clarify, if you stay in Curry or Housekeeping, the showers are free and included in the price of your accommodations.
You're supposed to show your room key or whatever to the attendant to be allowed free admittance, but this is sometimes laxly enforced as you discovered ("no one checked if we belonged there" ) based on the enthusiasm level (or lack there of) of the attendant on duty.
Only us 'lowly' campers are the ones who are supposed to pay the $5 shower fee.
June 17, 2009 04:04PM
PineCone
michaelg

Just to clarify, if you stay in Curry or Housekeeping, the showers are free and included in the price of your accommodations.
You're supposed to show your room key or whatever to the attendant to be allowed free admittance, but this is sometimes laxly enforced as you discovered ("no one checked if we belonged there" ) based on the enthusiasm level (or lack there of) of the attendant on duty.
Only us 'lowly' campers are the ones who are supposed to pay the $5 shower fee.

Oh - I remember trying to do this in 2007. The first time my $3 (at the time) was collected at the Curry Village front desk, no receipt was issued, and I went and took my shower. When I got back from my backpacking trip a different employee told me to just take it and don't worry about paying. He even offered a towel.

I've heard that some of the various Yosemite master plans included public shower rooms - more than likely inexpensive coin-op ones maintained by the NPS. I can't imagine Delaware North is making much from the showers, and might prefer that they don't have to deal with it at all. I'm thinking the $5 is just meant as a deterrence to keep the shower use from non-guests down.

Of course there are some places where there are no public showers. Last year I found myself at Kalaloch Campground on the coastal section of Olympic NP (it is absolutely gorgeous). They have no public showers anywhere there. I saw a parent doing a rinse off of his kid at the slop sink under a faucet. Probably cold, but better than nothing. And no extra cost.
June 21, 2009 03:19PM
June 21, 2009 09:14PM
eeek
These work:

http://www.cornhobble.com/am/B000J2Q0T4

Or,
As mentioned different thread; for nearly unlimited hot water showers
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,7578,8594#msg-8594

http://www.twine4wdshowers.com.au/

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login