Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Merced River all-time low flow

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Merced River all-time low flow
December 03, 2007 02:22PM
According to today's gauges (12/3), the Merced sits at 4.4 fps, a lot lower than the all-time min of 5.5 set in 1930.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv?11264500
Re: Merced River all-time low flow
December 03, 2007 05:23PM
I'm not at all surprised. Last winter the Central Sierra was fairly dry. Last summer though there were some minor periods of thunderstorm activity, it was generally lower than normal. Then late September and early October had a few small fronts come through that for the most part just moistened landscapes with very little runoff. Then the past several weeks have been bone dry. I've been telling people this November was the driest I've ever experienced here in Central California. So yes most granite geology Sierra rivers are likely now near historic lows. Some high country creeks that always have flows likely just have occasional stale pools now. A large number of trout in streams have likely died back to just a few deeper such pools. Those rivers like the San Joaquin, Kings, and Kern that have significant higher areas with permanent snowfields always have somewhat greater flows at this time of year. Those larger rivers to the north where the drought has been less severe and more fall storms have visited this year are likely not close to historic lows. With their considerable slower to drain off volcanic geologies, minimal flows tend to remain higher in the fall. One can find historic monthly seasonal flow records for all our streams and rivers on the CDEC website under "unimpared river flows". ...David

http://www.davidsenesac.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login