All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Which trail to Backpack?
August 08, 2006 08:58AM
Hi!
Just joining this thread, and wondering if I may ask an opinion of you experienced hikers...
We're coming out in mid-Sept. to do some backpacking, photography & general adventuring. I've got my permit to go from Happy Isles to Little Yo, where we'll spend the night as we're also climbing Half Dome. Last May, I did Half Dome via Panorama Trail, then back on the Mist.
This yr. I'm bringing my 10 & 12 yr. old's & husband (we're not in bad shape, & all conditioning now for the trip). My question is~ I keep hearing about the steepness of the JMT going up to Little Yo. Given the extended group & lesser experience, should we take the longer, less strenuous Pano or go the shorter JMT?
Also, how's the scenerey on JMT from Happy Isles to Little Yo?
And finally, we're starting our week exploring Tuolumne Meadows then starting our hike from the Valley. Anybody ever take the JMT down from the Meadows past Sunrise to the Valley? Thought about this route too as we would have 4 days to use. Looks like about 24 miles... How tough though? Would love to hear!

Thanks a bunch!
Laurie

avatar Re: Which trail to Backpack?
August 08, 2006 01:22PM
Pooleparty wrote:

> I keep hearing about the steepness of the JMT
> going up to Little Yo. Given the extended group & lesser
> experience, should we take the longer, less strenuous Pano or
> go the shorter JMT?

I'd go ahead and take the JMT.

> Also, how's the scenerey on JMT from Happy Isles to Little Yo?

The trail is popular for good reason winking smiley

> And finally, we're starting our week exploring Tuolumne Meadows
> then starting our hike from the Valley. Anybody ever take the
> JMT down from the Meadows past Sunrise to the Valley? Thought
> about this route too as we would have 4 days to use. Looks
> like about 24 miles... How tough though? Would love to hear!

That's a very good choice. You'll see a lot more going that way (or one of the variations).

Re: Which trail to Backpack?
August 09, 2006 05:05AM
THANKS!!! Anybody out there ever done the JMT from Tuolumne Mdws. down to the Valley? Would love some insight till I get my YosemiteTrails DVD. Just wondering about the degree of difficulty & how my toes & knees will feel once we're done!
:-)
Laurie
August 09, 2006 07:40AM
Laurie:

If you're going to be taking the route by Sunrise High Sierra Camp; I recommend that you depart from the JMT at the camp and take the trail over by Sunrise Lakes. THis is more strenuous, and longer, but is more scenic (this section of the JMT is pretty unremarkable). You'll also have opportunity to go over Clouds Rest; which I highly recommend if your kids are up to it (you'll see what the trail up Clouds Rest is like in the DVD, and then you can decide).

Regarding the degree of difficulty. That's kindof hard to answer without knowing what type of hiking you usually do/what to compare it with. You definitely have elevation gain and loss, and it'll be a good workout - but I don't consider it strenuous. The JMT from the Clouds Rest area on is pretty non-stop downhill. If you have knee problems, you might consider getting some treking poles. They make a world of difference.

Hope you enjoy the DVD and have a great trip.

Jon Shannon
www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com
August 09, 2006 08:12AM
Thanks for the info! Will watch the DVD then make a group decision on how fit we are & which trail to take closer to departure!
:-)
Laurie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login