Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How's Yosemite Falls looking these days?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar How's Yosemite Falls looking these days?
May 24, 2009 06:31PM
With the snow melting so fast I was wondering how YFs will be the last week in May??
avatar Re: How's Yosemite Falls looking these days?
May 24, 2009 07:40PM
losthillsguy
With the snow melting so fast I was wondering how YFs will be the last week in May??

I would expect it to be very good.
May 24, 2009 09:00PM
I'm surprised the Yosemite Association has 3 webcams pointed at Half Dome, and none at Yosemite Falls. You'd think one or two of Half Dome would be enough. Maybe the one that's broken (on Sentinel Dome) can be repositioned to show Yosemite Falls if/when it is repaired.
May 24, 2009 09:09PM
Here's a few days ago, I suspect it will hold up at least for a while:
(upper)

(lower)

The whole thing:

I've seen it larger, but it's pretty impressive. I don't know how the snowpack is at the top, had wanted to go up but ran short on time, and just couldn't convince myself it was worth hurrying up that trail in the hot weather.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 24, 2009 09:14PM
Great photos, thanks for posting. It should still be like that for a couple more weeks at the very least, right? We will be there June 3 and 4.
May 25, 2009 10:42AM
You can of course see the "bathtub ring" that indicates about the maximum reach of the water.

I was there in late June 2006 (an exceptional snow year) where the water levels were so high that there was a huge cone that was about 50% wider than those photos reference in this thread. Tioga Road was't open until about June 20.
May 25, 2009 12:47PM
An unscientific comparison of the last 4 years in mid to late May (not all at exactly the same angle):

While 2006 looks the healthiest by a small margin, note that both the 2008 and 2009 photos were taken after or during some unseasonably hot May weather, and in fact the 2008 one had a fairly heavy snowfall just a week or so before the hot spell. 2007 was the only year we didn't find a nice "snow cap" on top of Half Dome for our mid-May trip. The 2006 one was during 'normal' weather and with no very recent snowfalls, so the healthy size is probably more deeply rooted than the rest.

I don't have a photo from May 2005, and one from April wouldn't be a fair comparison, but we did a family trip to the valley in late July-early August 2005, and Yosemite falls still had a pretty decent flow.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 12:53PM by Sierrafan.
May 25, 2009 12:53PM
Thanks for the comparison. It looks like 2009 has somewhat of a smaller flow than 2008. We were there on May 22, 2008, and this is what the falls looked like that day (although it was quite windy that day and that made the spray blow around a lot).

May 25, 2009 05:11PM
How does Yosemite Falls look....REAL REAL BIG

We got up close and personal with it yesterday, as we viewed it from the look-out area off the top of Yosemite Falls trail.

How does BlueJay Creek look: Like the biggest baddest river in the world -- (as observed from the log above with shakey legs)

bill-e-g has some awesome shots looking down the falls....(and of the creek, too)

Busy Bee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 10:03PM by Bee.
May 25, 2009 05:36PM
I'm pretty sure much of the "toilet bowl" ring is mainly due to wind spray. More water doesn't always translate into wider falls.

But the falls will be running great for some time still. Hoffman still has alot o snow on it which translates
into Yosemite Creek pretty much. If you want to see the most volume then wait until later in the day...
May 25, 2009 05:59PM
Yosemite Creek on Saturday.

May 25, 2009 06:02PM
If you look closely in the center off to the left a bit you can't see a human being sitting at the edge of the creek.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 06:06PM by mrcondron.
May 25, 2009 06:04PM
mrcondron
If you look closely in the center off to the left a bit you can see a human being sitting at the edge of the creek.

How long do you want them to look?
May 25, 2009 06:07PM
Error. Never mind.

Old Dude
May 25, 2009 10:18PM
If you look closely in the center of the picture you can see a human being crossing a creek on a log.

Old Dude
May 25, 2009 10:24PM
mrcondron
If you look closely in the center of the picture you can see a human being crossing a creek on a log.

Is that a Bozo Sapien?
May 25, 2009 10:29PM
All seriousness aside, where did this trip take you? It appears that you went up to Yosemite Falls then over to El Cap?? Or at least the chicken went to El Cap (another thread).

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 25, 2009 10:31PM
Get Serious Hot Diggity Dog,
We went down Yosemite Creek and over to Eagle Peak. Camped.
Next day over to Yosemite Falls... and then up back ot Yosemite Creek Trailhead.
May 25, 2009 10:32PM
El Cap is saved for another day. Not sure how to get there although there seemed to be some sort of trail remnant.
May 25, 2009 10:38PM
bill-e-g
Get Serious Hot Diggity Dog,
We went down Yosemite Creek and over to Eagle Peak. Camped.
Next day over to Yosemite Falls... and then up back ot Yosemite Creek Trailhead.

Back via the Lehamite Creek?
?Snow cones made along Tioga Pass?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 25, 2009 09:11PM
So if you fell into that creek you would go over the falls, right?
May 25, 2009 09:18PM
Bob Weaver

No... that picture is a good 3 miles above the falls...
I won't go into any macabre details... but there are logjams way before the falls too..
May 25, 2009 09:20PM
Bob,
That picture was taken several miles upstream from the falls but it's conceivable you could get carried down to the falls even from where the picture was taken. There are quite a few places where you could extricate yourself from the creek if your fingers and arms still worked.(That is snowmelt) If you get in the creek anywhere near the falls now you would probably go over. There is a point near the falls where if you get in the water you WILL go over.

Old Dude
May 25, 2009 09:24PM
How does a Bee get to the other side of the creek?

(Bluejay Creek .. which dumps into Yosemite Creek)
May 25, 2009 09:25PM
Yikes! Has anyone ever gone over Yosemite Falls? I read about some poor woman who took a dip in the Emerald Pool and went over Vernal Falls (to her death of course). I've read "Over the Edge..." but not "Off the Wall..." yet.
May 25, 2009 10:07PM
May 25, 2009 10:10PM
Bob Weaver
Yikes! Has anyone ever gone over Yosemite Falls? I read about some poor woman who took a dip in the Emerald Pool and went over Vernal Falls (to her death of course). I've read "Over the Edge..." but not "Off the Wall..." yet.

Guys,

SHHHHHH----Stop with the negative vibes!! I'm trying to cross the log (as pictured) and yer disturbing my serenity (Dear God, please watch out for my puppy if I should....NOT!!!!!!)

It was a glorious experience....all 5 or so creek crossings... I kid you not -- after a while, the "high" that you get after a "successful x-ing" is addictive.

Busy Bee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 10:11PM by Bee.
May 25, 2009 10:30PM
OK sorry. It's better to know of any dangers and be prepared.
May 25, 2009 10:43PM
Bob Weaver

Dangers= When you sign up for your Wilderness Permit, the Ranger will usually mention which creeks are impassible at the time, (not taking into consideration the fair amount of insanity that permeates myself and those I choose to hang out with...)

Preparation= A religious icon of some sort hung around one's neck might be helpful....!!

All kidding aside, the creek conditions and the level of danger is usually very well expressed by the rangers if you ask ahead of time. Even when one chooses to ignore such warnings, it's helpful to bring along a Sacrificial Goat to test all waterways for you.

Busy Bee
May 25, 2009 11:05PM
Bill-e-g has the ability to cross high water on the narrowest of logs, the bouncier the better, under the worst conditions.

Here's a short story made long. He, his wife, and I needed to cross the Lyell Fork in the rain, a roaring torrent that would have taken you to downtown Merced. Billy is across this barkless, wet slippery log spanning the fork when his wife and arrive a few minutes after him. We look at the water, the log, the great campsites across the fork, and vacillate.
Billy comes back across, takes his wife's pack across, comes back and takes my pack and waits for us to cross. We decline. He has to return the packs to our side so we can find someplace to camp on the crummy side of the fork. He made twelve crossings on that log in about 10 minutes and loved every minute of it. The next morning we found a less death defying pair of logs side by side a few hundred yards upstream. We all survived.

Old Dude
May 26, 2009 04:06AM
mrcondron
Bill-e-g has the ability to cross high water on the narrowest of logs, the bouncier the better, under the worst conditions.

Here's a short story made long. He, his wife, and I needed to cross the Lyell Fork in the rain, a roaring torrent that would have taken you to downtown Merced. Billy is across this barkless, wet slippery log spanning the fork when his wife and arrive a few minutes after him. We look at the water, the log, the great campsites across the fork, and vacillate.
Billy comes back across, takes his wife's pack across, comes back and takes my pack and waits for us to cross. We decline. He has to return the packs to our side so we can find someplace to camp on the crummy side of the fork. He made twelve crossings on that log in about 10 minutes and loved every minute of it. The next morning we found a less death defying pair of logs side by side a few hundred yards upstream. We all survived.

Note to Dale: Intense sensation of déjà vu upon reading the above narration. (Where do we find these people anyway?)

In addition, have taken a fellow from West Virginia along on a few hikes. Dave manages to fall in any rivulet wider than ~16 inches and/or deeper than ~2 inches. He doesn't even need to be trying to cross it - it just needs to be within falling distance of where he is standing. (I wish that I could say that I am exaggerating here.)
May 26, 2009 06:45AM
szalkowski
mrcondron

Note to Dale: Intense sensation of déjà vu upon reading the above narration. (Where do we find these people anyway?)

In addition, have taken a fellow from West Virginia along on a few hikes. Dave manages to fall in any rivulet wider than ~16 inches and/or deeper than ~2 inches. He doesn't even need to be trying to cross it - it just needs to be within falling distance of where he is standing. (I wish that I could say that I am exaggerating here.)

Some more interesting details on that crossing. On that trip we went over Red Peak Pass and then over to Post Peak Pass & Isberg Pass before coming back the high trail
down to Merced Lake and back over to Mono Meadow Trailhead. On the way to Ottoway we ran across 3 people that said they got stymied at Lyell fork. We had never
been on that trail so I poo poo'd it and just said "we'll see when we get there". It turns out that I later learned that these 3 people did the High Sierra Route from Kings Canyon!
I cannot believe that they didn't take the time to look for log crossings to make their way across when they did ALL that xcountry already! I even sent the guy an email
about meeting them. He has an account of the trip on the web. I can find it if anyone is interested. His words about the Lyell Fork Crossing:
"A certain death trap for anyone foolish enough to stick as much as a toe into it".
I spent probably an hour or so looking for a safer log upstream maybe 3/4 miles. It did involve some boulder hopping but that's part of the fun!
Here's the fork when we hit it on July 26, 2006:
May 26, 2009 12:38PM
mrcondron

For those who have never crossed a log like that it is a unique experience carrying a 40-lb backpack. That extra weight high on your body throws off your normal balancing instincts so it is very easy to fall off if one is not accustomed to it. On the trail all one has to do is move their foot to the side to regain balance. On the log there is no side to move your foot to. I have a very healthy respect for any log crossing, no matter how tame it may appear at first glance.

Jim
May 26, 2009 12:43PM
Jim,
Everyone in my circle certainly has a high level respect for them. Dale is from hockey country and could probably hop across on one foot. He's not referred to as "Goat" because of his smell but rather his agility.

Old Dude
May 26, 2009 12:45PM
mrcondron
Jim,
Everyone in my circle certainly has a high level respect for them. Dale is from hockey country and could probably hop across on one foot. He's not referred to as "Goat" because of his smell but rather his agility.

The Carolina Hurricanes could use him on defense tonight.

Jim
May 26, 2009 12:48PM
Easy does it big fella. You're talking to Sharks fans.

Old Dude
May 26, 2009 05:46PM
mrcondron
Easy does it big fella. You're talking to Sharks fans.

Mike,

Sorry about that. I'll be joining you very shortly in the loss column. The way Pittsburg is playing the Detroit fans better not get too comfortable.

Jim
May 26, 2009 07:58AM
Bob Weaver

Not sure why you'd get flak for warning people of real, not imagined dangers they may not be aware of. The Death in Yosemite book is full of accounts of people doing things that they thought were fairly innocuous...crossing above a waterfall, posing for photos on a rock in the river, even just filling a water bottle.

Last year I saw a family of 4 crossing the late-March roaring Merced on a log; the kids were about 8-12 in range. I doubt that they realized that a slip would be basically an instant death sentence. People always figure they'll grab onto a branch, log, or rock, but often the current is so strong that it's impossible, or they're over the falls before they even realize what happened. Even two men may have a tough time pulling someone free of a snag in the current, that is, if they find them at all.

Most teenagers, at one point, think they're indestructible, like to show off, and can be expected to take risks, and most survive so they can develop good judgment as they get older...but only due to luck. But someone with a family like the above should at least be aware of what risk they're putting their kids (and even if they fall in themselves, what it will do to the family), so it's good that people know of what's happened to people just like them. I can't even imagine the feeling of crossing a river when it's only due to choice or 'something fun', and seeing one of them go in, knowing that's most likely the end, just instantly, from a single slip. While much of the year, crossing and falling in may be fairly benign, in spring it's not.

I was at Upper Pines taking refuge from a drenching thunderstorm when the SAR vehicles headed up to the bridges for the woman that had fallen in at Vernal Fall on May 18. Having seen the raging river, I already pretty much knew what had happened, and the outcome, which is not unusual this time of year. The SAR crew stayed at all the valley bridges for a few hours, but you could tell they had no hope of finding anything other than a body.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 08:00AM by Sierrafan.
May 26, 2009 08:20AM
Drive a car. You'll more likely be dead long before a backcountry hiker.

Old Dude
May 26, 2009 08:35AM
Sierrafan
Bob Weaver

Not sure why you'd get flak for warning people of real, not imagined dangers they may not be aware of. The Death in Yosemite book is full of accounts of people doing things that they thought were fairly innocuous...crossing above a waterfall, posing for photos on a rock in the river, even just filling a water bottle.

Last year I saw a family of 4 crossing the late-March roaring Merced on a log; the kids were about 8-12 in range. I doubt that they realized that a slip would be basically an instant death sentence. People always figure they'll grab onto a branch, log, or rock, but often the current is so strong that it's impossible, or they're over the falls before they even realize what happened. Even two men may have a tough time pulling someone free of a snag in the current, that is, if they find them at all.

Most teenagers, at one point, think they're indestructible, like to show off, and can be expected to take risks, and most survive so they can develop good judgment as they get older...but only due to luck. But someone with a family like the above should at least be aware of what risk they're putting their kids (and even if they fall in themselves, what it will do to the family), so it's good that people know of what's happened to people just like them. I can't even imagine the feeling of crossing a river when it's only due to choice or 'something fun', and seeing one of them go in, knowing that's most likely the end, just instantly, from a single slip. While much of the year, crossing and falling in may be fairly benign, in spring it's not.

I was at Upper Pines taking refuge from a drenching thunderstorm when the SAR vehicles headed up to the bridges for the woman that had fallen in at Vernal Fall on May 18. Having seen the raging river, I already pretty much knew what had happened, and the outcome, which is not unusual this time of year. The SAR crew stayed at all the valley bridges for a few hours, but you could tell they had no hope of finding anything other than a body.

Gary, Well put on the dangers of rivers in early spring.
I just recently joined and it is nice to see some sanity in this forum.
Is there always so much crass behavior?
May 26, 2009 09:41AM
abenebbish
Gary, Well put on the dangers of rivers in early spring.
I just recently joined and it is nice to see some sanity in this forum.
Is there always so much crass behavior?

Only in the last couple of months; until then, it was a very pleasant and useful forum with lots of good information, along with a good balance of occasional good-natured kidding around (but not to the extent that it overpowered the information). But recently every thread has to be turned into a joke, have the topic change to suit someone, or destroyed with a lot of personal and irrelevant messages that are of no general interest. Sometimes a thread can remain intact for a day or two, as this one had, but then, as you've seen, it quickly deteriorates into a chat-board, and you'd better not offend certain people, watch what you post.

I don't know what happened to this thread, I just noticed Bob W. had gotten some sort of reaction to what I thought was an informative message, or possibly it was ypw's post, so I responded. Probably the warning about the river offended the person/people who this forum is all about.

I've suggested in the past that they add another board to the forum, so that members who want to talk about themselves and exchange personal banter or private jokes can do so without destroying the usefulness of this one. So far, no go, but I imagine if it continues this way, someone will start another forum and learn from the mistakes here.

A lot of folks do come to this forum knowing nothing about Yosemite, perhaps preparing for a visit, and it used to be that you could browse the message board and find all sorts of useful and interesting information, whether you were new to Yosemite or a veteran. And that's still there, but unfortunately it's now getting buried in too much junk. It's easy to block out nearly all of the personal messages with a couple of clicks, but the thread is still affected, so it doesn't work all that well. If you time your question right, you may be able to get in a day or two's worth of good replies before the thread deteriorates.

Anyway, sorry you didn't get to see the forum when it was in better shape, but there's still good info here, it's just harder to find.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 06:58PM by Sierrafan.
May 28, 2009 08:03PM
I wonder why so many people think national parks are playgrounds. Why do they think crossing the Merced on a log is a better experience than crossing it on a bridge? They should probably change the name of the park to Yosemite National Playground: tennis courts, three swimming pools, a golf course, a skating rink, a ski resort, a massive dining room with an idiotic bacchanal every year and who knows what else, all within the boundaries of a national park. Is Yosemite, in and of itself, so boring that all these facilities had to be built for extra activities?
May 28, 2009 08:50PM
Hi Bob,

I cannot answer for most of what you posted (especially when I am overcome by an outrageous need for a Rootbeer after a trip), but I can comment on the log crossing. I don't think that anyone I BP with would rebuff a bridge crossing in favor of a log; however, in order to psychologically prepare yourself for such a unique and challenging experience, one must put a positive and fulfilling spin on it. That log that I am standing on in the above picture is probably only the 2nd or 3rd crossing that I have ever done, but the faith in my friends, and the confidence in myself allowed me to overcome initial fear, and replace it with caution and fortitude.

Bee Presents
May 28, 2009 09:36PM
Bob,
Get a trail map of Yosemite and compare a couple of things.
1. The area of the valley floor which contains most of the playthings you refer to with the total area of the park.
2. The miles of trail in the valley floor with the total miles of trail in the park.

I have hiked probably 95%+ of the trails in the park multiple times in both directions and maybe 10% of the trails in the valley. I hardly look at the park as a playground with toys. Dale has hiked more like 99% and God knows how much cross country. I don't think he has used any of the valley floor toys either.

As far as water crossings are concerned I have made a few that make spooky pictures but the most that would happen with a fall is to get wet and perhaps very cold with a bruise or two thrown in. The greatest fear is falling in the COLD water. I have refused only two water crossings on a log. One would have led to a fatality with a fall. I wasn't willing to test my mettle. We found a better crossing about 1/4 mile upstream. The second was last weekend where the log had a sharp pointy top surface and would have been like walking on a knife edge. Again we found a better log nearby. The edgy log would have led to only a soaking.
Personally I would rather cross on a bridge any day. We don't cross on logs to get kicks or excitement. It's just that if you want to get from A to B you have to find a way across water sometimes. It is exciting but not sought after. I don't particularly like it.
Wading across water is WAY more difficult and dangerous than crossing on a log. Last weekend we did 1/2 mile of cross country to avoid a wading crossing of Yosemite Creek.

Old Dude
May 25, 2009 11:18PM
Bee
I kid you not

Another goat pun?
May 25, 2009 09:26PM
Bob Weaver

No, that's against park regulations.
May 25, 2009 09:33PM
eeek
Bob Weaver

What if you were in a boat?
May 25, 2009 09:56PM
bill-e-g
eeek
Bob Weaver

Is boating allowed on Yosemite Creek?
May 25, 2009 10:01PM
eeek
bill-e-g
eeek
Bob Weaver

Is boating allowed on Yosemite Creek?

I can put my trailboat in any lake in Yosemite besides Hetch Hetchy. I don't see why not.
Well... ok, ya.. of course I see why NOT... but...

I honestly don't know the rules on boating rivers in Yosemite.
May 25, 2009 10:33PM
bill-e-g
eeek
Bob Weaver

Wasn't there a Theodor (Dr. Seuss) Geisel book about that?
"The Goat in the Boat"
May 26, 2009 01:03AM
May 25, 2009 10:49PM
If you "Goat Boat" it.. you can just stay in one spot enjoying the view:

(and we went down Yosemite Creek... and then up Yosemite Creek)
(not Le-ham-ite)
We started and stopped at Yosemite Creek Trailhead
May 26, 2009 06:59AM
Here's the toilet bowl ring in all it's gory:

May 26, 2009 11:58AM
bill-e-g
Here's the toilet bowl ring in all it's gory:

It's not just a toilet bowl ring. It's also a climbing route:

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/climbing/ViaAqua/viaaqua.html
May 26, 2009 01:06PM
y_p_w
It's not just a toilet bowl ring. It's also a climbing route:

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/climbing/ViaAqua/viaaqua.html

Interesting. I didn't know anyone climbed this route.

I wanna go back when it is "empty" and check out the "vestibule".
Pretty sure there is no danger in getting to there.
May 26, 2009 04:00PM
I was going over SFGate's comment section on an article about tour guides who fudge with the facts, when I read this one:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comments/view?f=/c/a/2009/05/24/TRGQ17KPNJ.DTL

In 1969, my first job as a teenager was busboy and line server in the Yosemite Lodge cafeteria. I would go out to the open patio to clear tables as often as I could because I could look up at the magnificent Yosemite Falls. One morning two delightful ladies called me over and asked, "Do they turn off the falls at night?" I quietly thought to myself that people really need to get out of the cities more often.
May 26, 2009 04:12PM
They do turn Niagra off at night. So maybe the question was as stupid as it seemed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login