Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Firefall 2008

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 12, 2008 12:50PM
Let's hope wetness continues off and on till mid Feb. Then the firefall!

I tried it last year but the fall was a trickle. Still a decent effect on a cloudy day.

Firefall 2007

I'm planning on being in the park Feb 15-16-17, weather permitting.

January 13, 2008 12:48PM
February 02, 2008 12:41PM
I don't know why, but in the years I have been recording hi and lo temps and other information off the weather monitor, it seems to always warm up the 2nd week of Feb or thereabouts.

Nice snow pack this year, and more snow today (Feb. 2), I am planning on visiting Yosemite Feb. 16. But the question is, with nice weather forecast this week, will the Firefall be visible Feb. 9? Or is that too early?
Re: Firefall 2008
February 03, 2008 12:48PM
Vince wrote:
> Nice snow pack this year, and more snow today (Feb. 2), I am
> planning on visiting Yosemite Feb. 16. But the question is,
> with nice weather forecast this week, will the Firefall be
> visible Feb. 9? Or is that too early?

It might be too early and the sun will be hitting the rock. I was there a little early in 2006 (12th) and the light hit the rock face along with the waterfall. The next night clouds blocked the sunlight, but it was probably still too early anyway.

There's about a 2 degree difference in the azimuth of the sun at 5-5:30PM for the 9th and the 16th, and my guess is that the sun, if it's out, will be illuminating the whole face instead of just the falls. I don't know the exact azimuth it takes to light the falls and not the cliff, so I can't even tell if the 16th will work.

If you're going to be there anyway, you can always head down and watch. No doubt there'll be a barrage of photographers down there waiting and talking about lenses (which usually sends me packing, but it would be nice to see the falls illuminated in real life once).

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
February 03, 2008 05:54PM
Vince;

i plan on being there on the 15th & 16 ... i'll be wearing a black baseball cap that says Yosemite on it. be sure to trip me or toss a rock at my head as you say hello. i drive a black & gray Honda Element.

February 16, 2008 02:26PM
I'll be there tomorrow in my Element and hoping to see a firefall!
February 15, 2008 01:03AM
OK Mr. Forrestranger...you know how expensive these stupid inkjet cartridges are but OK...not exactly high priority, tho

I'll be in the ugly green Mustang
February 17, 2008 06:29PM
here are some photos i took Feb. 15, 2008. i camped over night in Upper Pines and came home saturday late afternoon.

http://forresthickman.com/feb2008.html
February 17, 2008 07:20PM
Forrestranger, thank you for sharing those pictures. Wow, wow, wow, wow! Pretty!!!

February 20, 2008 08:38AM
beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login