Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (93% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

March Snow Survey

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 04, 2008 05:27PM
Park staff have completed the March 1 snow surveys. Both the Tuolumne and Merced drainages are approximately 120% of average water content, and over 100% of April 1 average. The lower elevation locations are particularly impressive, with most courses under 7000" showing more than 125% of April 1 water content.

Re: March Snow Survey
March 04, 2008 08:25PM
From a seat-of-the-pants objective, there's a LOT more snow in the Valley itself than I recall seeing in the past few years. The Ahwahnee meadow has been snow covered for what seems like a couple of months now, and usually it comes and goes quickly.

After my attempted visit to Upper Pines last week which had 2+ feet of snow covering the whole thing, I'm wondering how we'll do on our family March 23-27 visit. I guess even if there's still snow there (likely), somebody will have shoveled out a campsite by then. 8^)

I walked up to the Mariposa Grove last week, and the tops of the speed limit signs were all that stuck out of the snow. Would have been a great downhill ski, coming back. Snowshoes would be a good idea for anyone planning that walk soon, though there is a fairly well packed ski route, as long as you don't step off of it.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
March 04, 2008 08:55PM
I'd be very surprised if there was much snow in the Valley that late in March. It could happen though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login