Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waning Crescent (40% of Full)

Advanced

Camp 4/backpackers campground fees are per person?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Camp 4/backpackers campground fees are per person?
March 13, 2008 05:51PM
I was going through the 2007 Superintendent's Compendium for Yosemite to figure out what certain rules were. I had never paid attention, but apparently the $5 daily fee for all walk-in campgrounds like Camp 4 and the backpackers' campgrounds are per person, and each user must register individually. So if I stay with my wife (in the same tent) at Camp 4 or a backpackers' campground, I guess we need to register individually and pay $5 per person. I saw some large groups staying at Camp 4 in Feb 2007, and I'm thinking they might have been better off at Upper Pines, where they could park their cars next to the site, unless they just paid $5 per tent. I'm sure Upper Pines wasn't full.

Last Summer, I guess it made sense to use the Valley backpackers' campground, since I was going solo. I was under the impression that I would be saving money by staying in a backpackers' campground with two people. However - it looks as if the $10 cost would be the same for a single site at maybe Yosemite Creek. Still the backpackers' campgrounds would seem to have the advantage of running water and real toilets.

I saw large groups (splitting into multiple sites) staying at the backpackers' campground. I'm wondering if they actually paid a per person fee. Or perhaps it was the best option without a regular campsite reservation or the time to get in early for a non-reservable campsite.

Also - I came across this:

Backpacker camps are intended for use by visitors in possession of an overnight Wilderness Permit or for visitors arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus.
I remember I said something about being referred to a backpackers' campground if Camp 4 is full, but I guess this really is the rule, provided someone arrives without their own car.

Post Edited (03-13-08 17:53)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login