Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

Advanced

Superintent's Compendium - a good read

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Superintent's Compendium - a good read
March 13, 2008 06:19PM
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&PageID=193143

You know, I remember reading all that stuff on the back of my wilderness permit, and I had some trouble figuring out what was simply recommended and what was required by Yosemite regulations (the stuff I might get fined for or told to leave). I remember seeing some campsites that were extremely well established, but didn't meet the 100 ft from trails and water sources.

I was tired and I needed a place to rest, so I just found a nice site, although it was a little over 30 ft from a stream and maybe 40 ft from the trail, but could find no other options short of asking to stay in someone else's spot. Turns out that I was OK according to the regulations in place (I think the rules on backcountry camping probably haven't changed ). I did see one free-standing tent that was unstaked and where the corner was actually dipping into a small stream.

Camping is prohibited in the following areas:

• Within 100 feet of a trail, flowing stream, river or any body of water, unless designated,
and as follows: Camping is permitted within 100 feet of a stream, trail or body of water
provided that a well established campsite exists and terrain permits no other options. In
no case will camping be permitted within 25 feet of a stream, trail or body of water.

In any case, I'm going to be going over this. It might be useful to know just in case I come across a situation where I'm not sure what I can or can't do.

Re: Superintent's Compendium - a good read
March 15, 2008 10:18PM
Thanks! A lot of good info there, just in a quick look I learned some things.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login