Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

backcountry-equipment

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

backcountry-equipment
June 01, 2008 10:31AM
Hi,

we are a german family with 3 kids (6, 10 and 12 Y). It'll be our first time in Yosemite this summer in august!

We'll go out there for a three days backcountry trip to Young Lakes via Dog Lake (Exit at Glen Aulin). Now we have three questions:

1. What kind of equipment is necessary going out there. Does somebody have a list?

2. How we get drinking-water?

3. What is the best programm to fill the three days (i.e. how far should we walk the first, second and third day? Which are the best campsites? Is there something we shouldn't miss at all? Specials for the kids?...)

If you have some experience in Yosemite - especially with children - please give us advise!

Best regards
Alex
Re: backcountry-equipment
June 01, 2008 12:31PM
Alex,

First, make sure you know about wilderness permits:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

There is no trail between Young Lakes and Glen Aulin. You have to return the same way or via Dog Lake. Is your 6 year old able to hike 7 miles uphill in the high altitude the first day to Young Lakes? If not, an easier trip is to McGee Lake which is on the way to Glen Aulin. Second day, you can explore Glen Aulin. Third day return to Tuolumne Meadows.

Since your trip is so short, go with a minimum of equipment.

Sleeping bags for each of you.

Two tents. One for you and your wife. One for your kids. Backpacking tents of course.

Hiking Boots for each of you.

One backpack for each of you. A mini backpack for your 6 year old.

Take a water filter - the pump type. I like the Katadyn Hiker. It is easiest to use and doesn't break like some of the others.

A simple backpacking camping stove with 1 cannister.

Simple foods. I am a vegetarian and this is what I eat when backpacking. Purchase MaryJanesFarm organic dehydrated meals www.maryjanesoutpost.org. They come in a non-aluminum paper based pouch. You just pour boiling water. They have simple entrees like lentils, rice and Indian Spice, Rice and Tofu, etc. They have no preservatives. 3 pouches will serve your family.

Breakfast is easy. Oatmeal pouches. Some dried fruit. Lunch you can bring along Wasa crackers and hummus. Just pour water to reconstitute the hummus. Dried fruit is good too.

You'll have to keep all food, trash, and toiletries (that includes soap, sunblock, etc.) in a bear cannister as it is the law in Yosemite. I highly recommend renting two bear cannisters at Tuolumne Meadows. Don't waste money and time buying one.

Finally, bring a water bottle for each family member. Drink a lot of water. It gets hot and dry up there during the summer.

Oh and last but not least, bring a garbage bag for each of you as a rain poncho, in case it rains in the afternoon. Sun hat is also good.

Post Edited (06-01-08 12:33)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login