Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Full

JanSport

Advanced

The Bridges of Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 11, 2008 09:40AM
Does anyone know of any compilation, archivial or otherwise, concerning the history of the bridges in the park?

The question is prompted by a somewhat disappointing web search for information relating to the “Swinging Bridge” on the valley floor. A couple friends were on a first time visit to the park a few months ago and had stopped at the site. Noting that the bridge appeared rather sturdy, they asked me about it.

I did manage to find a few oblique references to the perhaps original or second generation bridge at the site dating to the latter part of the Ninteenth Century (Muir’s writings; maps of the era when Black’s Hotel existed), but nothing documenting any specifics (date built, bridge type, etc.).

Addendum: I did find some interesting information about some of the road bridges being redesigned and rebuilt in the 1920s-1930s time frame.

Thanks much, in advance, for any information.

Post Edited (01-11-08 13:23)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
Re: The Bridges of Yosemite
July 08, 2008 12:16PM
At the site of the present "Swinging Bridge," there was a suspension bridge a long time ago. I have a picture of me sitting on that bridge in 1946, so the thing was there before that time. I crossed that bridge and played on it into the 1960s. I'm not sure when it was destroyed.

Before that bridge, there was another suspension bridge. My father took photos of it in the 1920s. There may have been a previous suspension bridge from the 19th century.

Between the road and the "Swinging Bridge" was a large hole or crater. It was the cellar hole of Galen Clark's cabin. In the mid 1950s, I found many handmade square-shank nails in that hole.

Doug Parr
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login