Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Tuolumne Meadows campsites

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Meadows campsites
August 28, 2008 07:57AM
Hi, if you read my post about my bad experience last weekend in the valley, you'll know why I'm asking the following questions...

We're going to TM the weekend after labor day, and would like to enjoy our stay more so than we did in the valley. So can someone kind of "break it down" in terms of how the TM campground works? Meaning, I know it's 50/50 reservable/FCFS, and we do have a reservation, so that's not a problem. But how do they situate people?

Are certain loops designated for those who reserve, or can people camp anywhere?

Which loops are most secluded?

Which are the "best" (scenery, seclusion, location, etc)?

Can I drive around the campground then tell the host/ranger which site I want? (We were able to do that at Hodgdon, and we got an infinitely better spot than where they wanted to put us).

I don't mind walking for water, or if the site is far from the car, I'd much rather enjoy peace and quiet...

BTW, I have a printout of the campground map, so those of you who respond can just spit out numbers/letters and I'll be able to figure it out.

Speaking of the map, some of the sites #'s on the map are grey, some are black...what does that mean?

Oh...and will the crowds be even thinner the weekend after labor day? I hope so smiling smiley

Post Edited (08-28-08 15:01)
Re: Tuolumne Meadows campsites
August 28, 2008 12:46PM
I camped in TM the last weekend it was open in Sept. 2007. We had reserved our campsite about 2 mos prior to arrival, and it was for one night only as we had plans to start a trip up to Vogelsang the next day. We checked in at around 3:30 or 4 PM (just as they were getting the rubber bullets after a bear). The campsite was decent and relatively uncrowded (definitely better than the Valley) but I was a little disappointed to get a site that seemed to be about 15 feet away from the shoulder of Tioga Rd. Luckily there wasn't too much traffic at night, but it really screws up the whole nature thing when a giant pack of motorcycles sounds like it about to run over your tent. What was confusing was that it seemed like large sections of the camp were nearly empty, so I don't know what was up with the insulting camp assignment. Maybe someone else will have some inside info on this so you can avoid that problem... There was no indication that I could drive around and select a site.

That being said, they did close that weekend; maybe they were closing the other loops earlier. TM was a complete ghost town when we emerged from the wilderness 5 days later.
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows campsites
August 28, 2008 03:00PM
Usually they will allow you to select another site, if you ask. In fact, when checking in let the ranger know your preferences - they are usually very helpful in this regard.

TM will be less crowded the week after Labor Day.

August 29, 2008 12:35AM
sierranomad wrote:

> Usually they will allow you to select another site, if you ask.
> In fact, when checking in let the ranger know your preferences
> - they are usually very helpful in this regard.

OK, I'll just probably ask if I can drive around and look. Like I said before, they initially assigned us a terrible spot in Hodgdon Meadow, but after looking around, I asked if we could switch and they didn't mind. I just think the rangers don't really care where they put you...you're just another person they have to fill a site with, and they are not going to try to spread out every camper and then fill in the worst spots last.
August 29, 2008 04:37AM
You will be assignd a site. Just look for another one and they will move you.
There are some sites being held for those with reservations. Not specific sites. If you see somebody leaving, just let them know you will wait at the
kiosk for them. Mention it to the ranger in the kiosk.

We always go for the "A" loop sites and get one we like. They are close to the river and not as many rv units.

We always get there at 7:30am since we never bother with reservations
The later in the day things get slim. But after the holiday it should be nice
Have a nice trip.

Anything at TM is better than the valley.
August 29, 2008 04:40AM
If you are looking for a really secluded car camping campground, you may like Yosemite Creek Campground, where you will most likely find a campsite. But, you will have to bring in your own water.

mark2
August 29, 2008 05:16AM
mark2 wrote:

> If you are looking for a really secluded car camping
> campground, you may like Yosemite Creek Campground, where you
> will most likely find a campsite. But, you will have to bring
> in your own water.

Can't you get water from Yosemite Creek? Creek water is generally not a problem as long as it's boiled, micron-filtered, or otherwise treated.

August 29, 2008 06:59AM
Water faucets and rest rooms are a short distance from all sites at TM.
The campground during the day is usually quiet since everybody is out
hiking or other activities. Some people lounge around the river and
go swimming in the pools of water. Me included.
Hiking upstream will get you some really nice quiet settings. Very
beautiful up the trail or even across the river from the campground.

September 01, 2008 12:30PM
My wife & I stayed in site e11 and it was pretty secluded. The trade off was that we were far from the entrance, and from the bathrooms. But for me it was worth it.

We found the campers there more considerate than what we often experience in the Valley. Fellow campers talked low enough that we almost never heard talking, no radios, dogs, etc. No doubt being in a secluded area of the campground helped.

Friday night we were at Tamarack Flat, and had a terrible experience. Two groups partied, drank, sang and played music until after 1:00 a.m. A guy on a motorcycle came into our site and set up tent w/o asking and was anything but a good neighbor.

September 02, 2008 03:41AM
sierranomad wrote:

> My wife & I stayed in site e11 and it was pretty secluded. The
> trade off was that we were far from the entrance, and from the
> bathrooms. But for me it was worth it.

Yeah, looking at the site map, looks like the D, E, F, and G loops are most spread out. This time of year, I don't need to be by the river, and I don't care about walking to the bathroom or water. I'll try to get something on the outside of loops. I've found being on the inside is just too crowded, and people walking through your site always.

> Friday night we were at Tamarack Flat, and had a terrible
> experience. Two groups partied, drank, sang and played music
> until after 1:00 a.m. A guy on a motorcycle came into our site
> and set up tent w/o asking and was anything but a good
> neighbor.

That stinks. I've known people to camp at Tam Flat, and they like it, because of it's remoteness to the road, which keeps out the big RV's. I guess you can have a bad experience anywhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login