Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

I forgot...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

I forgot...
January 15, 2009 04:03PM
I forgot the on-sale for mid-June Yosemite campsites started this morning...and when I logged on terribly late at 7:25, it was all gone. Oh well, wasn't too keen on valley camping...

But...soon TM will be available for reservation (is it Feb 15 or March 15?). I may not have access to a computer, so how does the phone reservation system compare to online? I figure it may be easier since TM does not take specific site reservations, but I don't want to call at 7:05 and get a busy signal and then get locked out. Am I more likely to get the shaft via the phone system? I may have to try to get to a computer those days if I must.
Re: I forgot...
January 15, 2009 10:57PM
Sorry to hear you missed the time; I was in this morning making reservations for a mid-May visit...Half Dome etc., and I checked after I was done to see just how fast things disappeared. There were still a lot of campsites available for multi-day visits, even one of my favorite sites; but it was for late May that I checked (not Mem. Day Weekend of course). I guess the June ones must go more quickly.

If you could move your visit a little later, starting after June 15 you could try again in February. I usually lay out all the info the night before...login for the reservation site, list of dates and favorite sites, shortcut to the campground on my desktop, campsite map, credit card, set the alarm and coffee pot, etc. so I don't run into any snags come 7AM.

I'd find it hard to trust the phone system. A busy signal just knocks you out, where the internet res site seems to work OK. The old site would get bogged down right at 7AM, but not so with the new one. Plus you get a visual of what sites are available instead of someone telling you what they've picked for you.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Re: I forgot...
January 16, 2009 03:32PM
If you get to the TM meadows campground around 7:30am you will not need to make a reservation. We have never bothered with reservations
in the last 20 years. Last year was the same. Scope out the sites before they open, so you can ask for that site at the kiosk. Check the list at the kiosk for open sites. We usually go in late july or august. If you don't like a site you can always change to a better one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login