Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Rock slide on Hwy 140

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 04, 2009 07:23PM
Small rock slide falls on highway outside Yosemite
The Associated Press
Posted: 03/04/2009 10:41:38 AM PST

EL PORTAL, Calif.—State transportation officials have reopened all lanes of a main highway leading into Yosemite National Park after clearing several tons of rock and debris from the road.
A spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation says officials opened State Route 140 for two-way traffic this afternoon. One was closed for several hours this morning, but no damage was reported.

The slide occurred only about a mile east of the Ferguson Rockslide, which buried the highway in 3 million cubic yards of rock and debris in April 2006.

State transportation officials removed a short, emergency bridge that bypassed the rubble last summer to instal
Re: Rock slide on Hwy 140
March 05, 2009 09:01AM
Wow, they've sure been having troubles with that road. Ironic that it's the "all weather highway" when storms hit, yet the mountains keep falling on it. I finally took a photo of the Ferguson slide when I went through in February, since no one was behind me

(the river's not curved, but even with a 24mm wide angle I couldn't get it all in the frame, so had to use 2).

I like going through Mariposa, hope they can keep the road usable, but looking at the hills when you drive through, you can sure see how it's rocks waiting to fall. It's almost hard to imagine this was a highway until about 3 years ago.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login