Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Permit Outlaw Sentenced

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 10, 2009 01:34PM
Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
“Permit Outlaw” Sentenced For Threatening Ranger

On April 8th, a self-described “permit outlaw” was sentenced to three years of probation for threatening a park ranger. Gary Clayton Palmer, 53, most recently residing in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, pled guilty in federal court to a charge of “threatening, intimidating or intentionally interfering” with a ranger. During his three years’ probation, he is banned from all national parks, including a ten-mile radius around Grand Canyon NP, and is also banned from the campus of Northern Arizona University. The charge against Palmer stemmed from a threatening email that he sent last January to a park backcountry ranger who’d cited him in 2003 for camping without a permit in the park. The investigation in this case was conducted by special agent Chris Smith and ranger Kean Mihata, who is on detail to the Investigative Services Branch. Palmer was charged by criminal complaint in February and arrested in Zion NP in March. He had been in federal custody since his arrest, awaiting the outcome of the April 8th hearing. In addition to probation and the other conditions, Palmer is banned from contacting the ranger and is obligated to undergo a mental health evaluation that will be followed by any necessary counseling. He must remain in Arizona and is able to leave only upon receiving permission from the court. Palmer has lived and worked near national parks for 30 years, including Yosemite, Zion, Grand Tetons and the Grand Canyon. He has convictions from these and other areas for various misdemeanors, including indecent exposure, disorderly conduct and camping without a permit. In the past, Palmer posted messages on a Grand Canyon hiking newsgroup in which he described himself as a “permit outlaw.”

avatar Re: Permit Outlaw Sentenced
April 10, 2009 01:53PM
Sounds almost like the jerks who decided that they would serve as national "grammar vigilantes". Didn't they deface a hand-painted sign by Mary Colter at Desert View's Watch Tower because they didn't agree with the grammar?

April 10, 2009 04:56PM
I have run into more than my share of cracked pottery minds out there during my canyon sojourns -- more than I ever have at the mountainous parks (although, one would begin to wonder after reading recent posts, but I digress)

QB
April 10, 2009 05:11PM
Hey!

Old Dude
April 10, 2009 05:12PM
mcondron: Hey!

GO AWAY -- this is a serious thread!!

QB
April 13, 2009 01:02PM
A National Park scofflaw who lived in Jackson Hole and described himself as a “permit outlaw” has been banned from all national parks after threatening a ranger, federal officials said.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=4469
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login