Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Upper Yosemite Falls to Yosemite Point May 4th

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Upper Yosemite Falls to Yosemite Point May 4th
April 13, 2009 07:55PM
Does anyone have an idea of trail conditions in early May?
I do not mind some snow ...but don't want to have to bring snow shoes or anything like that.

Thanks in advance
avatar Re: Upper Yosemite Falls to Yosemite Point May 4th
April 13, 2009 07:59PM
Dan-O
Does anyone have an idea of trail conditions in early May?
I do not mind some snow ...but don't want to have to bring snow shoes or anything like that.

Thanks in advance

A friend of mine did that hike two weeks ago. Lots of snow then but he didn't need snow shoes.
April 13, 2009 08:50PM
eeek

A friend of mine did that hike two weeks ago. Lots of snow then but he didn't need snow shoes.

Excellent!!!

Do you think probably the same conditions to Eagle Peak?
Haven't decided where I want to hike to yet??
April 13, 2009 08:59PM
Dan-O
eeek

Excellent!!!

Do you think probably the same conditions to Eagle Peak?
Haven't decided where I want to hike to yet??

I'm thinking it's probably going to be at least as much slushy as snowy. I did it in Feb 2007 when there was plenty of snow (in fact fresh snowfall a couple of nights earlier), and I never thought I needed snowshoes.

I just wish I had worn gaiters. Even though there was plenty of snow, I didn't see any snowshoe or cross-country ski tracks. Snowshoes might even be a bit tough to negotiate along the granite if it's slushy. The crampons might get a bit slippery when if they hit the rock. You'd probably need to be very careful about where you're using them since there are a lot of places where they're likely to bottom out. I did posthole quite a lot.

April 13, 2009 09:03PM
In May the snow should be pretty hard (if not gone). But it's hard to predict just what it'll be. Might be best to decide where to go when you get to the top and see what it's like for yourself.
Re: Upper Yosemite Falls to Yosemite Point May 4th
April 14, 2009 03:24PM
I hiked to Yosemite Point in the 3rd week of May 2005 (huge snow year) and only encountered snow after I crossed the bridge over Yosemite creek. There was not much snow on the actual trail, and mainly the really shaded/wooded areas were affected. Snow was really packed down where encountered; def. no need for snow shoes. Have fun. The view of HD from Yose. Point is incredible.

View from Yosemite Point: http://pevey.smugmug.com/gallery/7861429_DLPJB/1/#509601443_bw4Ds-A-LB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 03:27PM by Ryno98.
Re: Upper Yosemite Falls to Yosemite Point May 4th
April 14, 2009 05:01PM
I'm sure people are tired of me retelling my tale of hiking this trail (went to El Cap), but last year, hiking on May 5th, there was a ton of hard packed snow. If you don't know where the trail is, you won't know if there is any snow on the ground. I had to use my GPS to keep on the "trail". I didn't use snowshoes, but hiking a full day on an unstable and slippery surface is quite tiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 05:03PM by cthenn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login