Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Camping with no reservations.....

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping with no reservations.....
April 15, 2009 02:38PM
Hi all, thanks to all that read my 'failed reservation' post and have suggested some things. I'm considering some of the non-reservation sites now and I have a few questions/concerns. We were planning on having a group of 12 or less people coming and its pretty unsettling to bring that many ppl to hunt for first-come-first-serve campsites. I don't know what we would do if we went up there and couldn't find anything!
So I'm wondering what would be the best day to secure sites at places like Tamarack Flat or any other no reservation site. We were planning for an August 15-18 trip, Sat-Tues. I feel like arriving on Saturday morning would be kind of a stretch... I don't mind moving our arriving date around a bit.

Lastly does anyone of any FAQs on these first come first serve campgrounds? I'd like to know what I'm about to get into! =) Also anyone know what time check-in and check-out times are for these sites?

Thanks everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 03:00PM by fauxoriginality.
Re: Camping with no reservations.....
April 15, 2009 02:43PM
Here's a list of all the Yosemite campgrounds, with maps.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Saturday arrival in August...you may have some difficulty, but I don't know for sure. Tam Flat is pretty rough (the road, the services, etc), so unless you are all ok with that (and you aren't bringing a big RV!), you may want to try TM. They only take 50% reservations, but again, coming on Saturday may not get you a site...

If you just can't find anything in the park, there are plenty just east of the Tioga Pass entrance, so it's not like you'd be bringing a bunch of people for nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 02:44PM by cthenn.
avatar Re: Camping with no reservations.....
April 15, 2009 02:44PM
You might have trouble on Saturday morning. But Sunday morning should work very well. I usually arrive around 9 am when I'm camping in one of those non-reserved campgrounds, but that often leaves me waiting for people to finish packing up. I've never failed to get a site at Yosemite Creek this way (only had to wait around because I wanted a specific site).
avatar Re: Camping with no reservations.....
April 15, 2009 03:44PM
Another posibility is Crane Flat Campground. It won't be on the reservation system this year due to water system repair work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login