All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Schwarzenegger proposes closing 80 percent of California state parks
May 30, 2009 11:11AM
From SJ Merc:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12481195?source=most_viewed

Nearly every state park in the Bay Area — from the towering redwoods at Big Basin to Angel Island, Mount Tamalpais to Mount Diablo and every state beach from Año Nuevo in San Mateo County to Big Sur — would close as part of budget cuts proposed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In all, 220 of California's 279 state parks, about 80 percent, would be padlocked starting as soon as Labor Day, under details of a historic closing plan released Thursday night by the state parks department.

"We've never been in as serious a predicament as we are facing right now. It is potentially devastating," said state parks spokesman Roy Stearns.

Layoffs could hit 1,500 or more of the 2,900 state parks employees, Stearns added.

My opinion: Well, a couple opinions, one of which you already know. Pay to play!

But, I have found in paying attention to such things for decades, Arnold probably is throwing out the worst possible ideas, knowing that a slightly less horrible idea that comes about won't seem so bad compared to the original proposal. A good for instance happened about 30 years ago when the school district I was in in San Diego proposed to cut out all high school sports...and cut only freshman sports instead (that was shortly after Prop 13 passed).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login