Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Trivia Question- Spring in the Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Trivia Question- Spring in the Valley
May 03, 2009 08:07PM
As a consequence of Bob Weaver"s "Fern Spring" question and Bill-e-g's map resource, two question come to mind:
1. How many springs are mapped in Yosemite Valley (there is at least one)?
2. What are the names of those springs that are named?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Trivia Question- Spring in the Valley
May 03, 2009 08:11PM
Well, for one, on the map there's something called "Moss Spring" very close to Fern Spring, just a little east of Fern Spring. But I can't find a photo of it.
avatar Re: Trivia Question- Spring in the Valley
May 03, 2009 09:02PM
Right, That is two (Fern and Moss). There are at least three more.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 03, 2009 09:36PM
I get Iron, Fern, Moss, and Black.

Old Dude
May 03, 2009 09:52PM
mrcondron
I get Iron, Fern, Moss, and Black.
That's four springs with names.
From Yosemite Place Names:
BLACK SPRING is on Yosemite Valley floor near the west end of the rock slides below the old Big Oak Flat Road. It was named for the color of the rich alluvium through which the cold spring water flowed. Ansel Hall gives the Indian name as “Poot-poo-toon” (Bill--e-g, take note) without translalion.

FERN SPRING is in a beautiful setting of flowering dogwoods and thickly grown with ferns. It is located near the Pohono Bridge, west from Bridalveil Fall.

IRON SPRING is a “fine chalybeate spring that bubbles up on the margin of Ten-ie-ya Creek” near Mirror Lake, staining the stream bed a reddish color. “Chalybeate” indicates water impregnated with the salts of iron.

Further notes:
Moss Spring no naming info, east of Fern Spring

Iron is also referred to as Mineral or Chalybeate in one reference I found.

I believe there is one more spring but it has no easily determined name.

-- Carl Sagan
May 03, 2009 10:03PM
There are probably over 100 springs in the park. Most of them don't have names.

Old Dude
May 03, 2009 10:15PM
I am working from the topo maps of the valley. The only other one I can find in the Valley on the El Capitan and Half Dome 7.5 " quads is the following:

walked by many times! I assume it is that "seep" on the left as one walks toward Vernal Falls at the start of the trail.

-- Carl Sagan
May 03, 2009 10:26PM
Frank Furter
assume it is that "seep" on the left as one walks toward Vernal Falls at the start of the trail.

Yep, that be it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login