Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Good News: Emailing and Hiking Now Possible

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Good News: Emailing and Hiking Now Possible
May 31, 2009 08:45AM
No more reckless, distracted hiking, endangering others on the trail while using your cell phone. New Ap available for IPHONE:

http://www.appsafari.com/email/9162/email-n-walk/

"Email ‘N Walk is a controversial app developed by phase2games that sets the iPhone’s Email compose window background to the live feed from your iPhone camera lens. The idea is that you can walk and type email messages on your iPhone at the same time if you can see what is in front of you...." (cut)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2009 08:46AM by Frank Furter.
avatar Re: Good News: Emailing and Hiking Now Possible
May 31, 2009 09:13AM
Terrific candidates for the trails covered with small brown obstacles.

Jim
Re: Good News: Emailing and Hiking Now Possible
May 31, 2009 12:37PM
But can you still talk on the phone and be emailing at the same time? That's what would be nice. Being an i-gadget, I assume you can also listen to music, so we have all 3 at the same time, plus maybe playing a game, making an airline reservation, and being able to enjoy the view in Yosemite via the screen.

There's usually a short lens-to-LCD delay, so another nice thing would be after you hiked off a cliff, you could watch on the way down and see where you missed the turn.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 31, 2009 01:22PM
Sierrafan
so another nice thing would be after you hiked off a cliff, you could watch on the way down and see where you missed the turn.

and if you put 911 on speed dial you would be all set. Your rescuers could be on the way before you hit bottom.

Perhaps Picture in Picture technology would allow all those other features you mentioned. A head mounted rear facing camera would allow you to see those things onscreen that were missed when you walked right by them. Hopefully anyone using this technology will be using headphones. Of course they will need to shout to be heard on phone over the annoying birds and waterfalls. PIP GPS would be helpful. Perhaps hat-mounted solar panel would be necessary for the power demands.

Easy to imagine the next generation rigged for a vehicle so that now it will be possible to drive, talk on cell phone, email/text message all at the same time without directly looking at the road.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 01, 2009 05:23PM
The evidence in support just keeps piling up.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/06/01/Man-jogs-into-tree-while-using-Twitter/UPI-68651243891045/

......"The branch came out of nowhere and hit my face hard," he said....

-- Carl Sagan
June 01, 2009 08:24PM
The last post reminds me of classic list of excuses for auto accidents reported to insurance companies. Originally published in the Toronto Sun, July 26, 1977
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming home, I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have.

The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intentions.

I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way.

The guy was all over the road; I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.

I had been shopping for plants all day and was on my way home. As I reached an intersection, a hedge sprang up obscurring my vision. I
did not see the other car.

I had been driving my car for forty years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.

I was on my way to the doctors with rear end trouble when my universal joint gave way causing me to have an accident.

As I approached the intersection, a stop sign suddenly appeared in place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.

To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front, I struck the pedestrian.

An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my vehicle, and vanished.

I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the roadway when I struck him.

The pedestrian had no idea which direction to go, so I ran over him.

I saw the slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the hood of my car.

The indirect cause of this accident was a little guy in a small car with a big mouth.

I was thrown from my car as it left the road. I was later found in a ditch by some stray cat.

The telephone pole was approaching fast. I was attempting to swerve out of its path when it struck my front.

I was unable to stop in time and my car crashed into the other vehicle. The driver and passengers then left immediately for a vacation with injuries.

-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login