Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Nearly $16 million in funds to target wildfires in Sierra Nevada

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Nearly $16 million in funds to target wildfires in Sierra Nevada
June 03, 2009 05:17PM
With the region entering another potentially dangerous fire season, about $16 million in federal economic stimulus funding will be directed toward efforts to reduce risk of wildfire, federal land managers and U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., announced recently. The money will help fund thinning of vegetation in overgrown forests and grasslands and restore areas damaged by past fires.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090519/TT/905190305/1047
avatar Re: Nearly $16 million in funds to target wildfires in Sierra Nevada
June 03, 2009 10:14PM
This is a sore spot in this area of NV. It's mainly directed at Lake Tahoe. Many places around Tahoe have to go through mounds of red tape to get permission to make their living space "defensible." It's a vicious circle between owning your own property and government or government-sanctioned groups telling you what you can or can't do.
June 03, 2009 10:17PM
Many parts of Tahoe should never have been developed. It's disgusting.
June 03, 2009 10:20PM
eeek
Many parts of Tahoe should never have been developed. It's disgusting.

It should've been set aside as soon as the NP idea started. I agree. Not much can be done about it now. What parks along the shore that do exist were donated from private sources (i.e. Mr. Bliss).
June 03, 2009 10:48PM
I thought that I saw a billboard on Hwy 50 advertising more condos in the Tahoe area -- was I mistaken? I thought that there was a building moritorium in the Tahoe area.
June 03, 2009 10:59PM
On the Nevada side?
June 03, 2009 11:06PM
The sign was in California, but I could not tell exactly where the condos were going to be built.
June 03, 2009 11:08PM
It would be cheaper to rent or buy down here in Truckee Meadows and drive up there once in a while. Tahoe is a mess. I've been living in Sparks for three years and have visited Tahoe maybe five times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login