Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Healthy food and backpacking

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Healthy food and backpacking
July 06, 2009 02:30AM
Try backpacking through some of the 800 hiking trails in Yosemite National Park. Established around 1890 as one of the first national parks of our nation, the park’s captured beauty and grandeur make it difficult to stay for just a couple of days. Granite peaks and lyrical streams provide the perfect background for the serious backpacker.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12878-Healthy-Travel-Examiner~y2009m6d22-Healthy-food-and-backpacking
avatar Re: Healthy food and backpacking
July 06, 2009 06:33AM
This lady is awesome.

"For novice backpackers, it is good to know that backpacking requires about 500 calories per hour"

Now THAT is how you justify:
- Cupcakes
- Fruit Pies
- M&Ms
- Cheetos
- Twinkies

IN QUANTITY
July 06, 2009 08:47AM
bill-e-g
This lady is awesome.

"For novice backpackers, it is good to know that backpacking requires about 500 calories per hour"

Now THAT is how you justify:
- Cupcakes
- Fruit Pies
- M&Ms
- Cheetos
- Twinkies

IN QUANTITY

When you need to carry a bear cansiter, peanut butter hits the spot and packs mucho calories for the volume.

I tried out a couple of REI's June energy bars of the month. They were Hone Stinger bars. They're not like Clif Bars or Luna Bars (my wife has me eating those now) with under 250 calories each, but 390 calorie behemoth bars loaded with high-energy milk fat. I don't know how long I could consume them repeatedly, but when you're hiking or backpacking why complain about calories and fat? It was rather nasty though, since they had a chocolate coating that melted with body heat and tended to get everywhere.

http://www.honeystinger.com/products.php
July 06, 2009 09:00AM
I cancelled my subscription to Backpacker Magazine when it came out with a "green" issue that told you what energy bars to eat to reduce your carbon footprint (among other things). Sheesh.
July 06, 2009 02:22PM
Vince,

You mean we can't have any more soft coal roasted nuts or natural gas dried banana chips?

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login