Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Limits on Yosemite visitors?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Limits on Yosemite visitors?
August 05, 2009 09:44AM
Comments?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 05:27AM by rightstar76.
avatar Re: Limits on Yosemite visitors?
August 05, 2009 10:09AM
rightstar76
Comments?

From the Wikipedia article on Yosemite:
The park covers an area of 761,266 acres or 1,189 square miles (3,081 km²) and reaches across the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountain chain. Yosemite is visited by over 3.5 million people each year, many of whom only spend time in the seven square miles (18 km²) of Yosemite Valley.

I've never had a problem finding a campsite in Yosemite, Sequoia, or Kings... but then I have almost never stayed at an established campground.
It's a huge backcountry.
August 05, 2009 12:54PM
I had lunch at the Wuksachi Lodge restaurant. Quite nice and it didn't break the bank. That night I returned to my campsite.
August 05, 2009 11:18AM
rightstar76
The rich greedy people are at it again. Except this time in Yosemite. Remember what happened in Sequoia? Well it may happen again in Yosemite. Just try to get a room in Sequoia. You better have big $$$$ or you're not going. Oh and good luck getting a camp site. There are hardly any. You think Yosemite is expensive now. Just wait and see how expensive it will be if they get their way.

http://www.modbee.com/editorials/story/786765.html

Comments?

The cabins at Grant Grove Village are under $100. Cedar Grove Lodge is under $120. I know these aren't in Sequoia NP proper, but it's effectively the same area. There are also plenty of Forest Service campgrounds in the area. I stayed in Stony Creek a couple of years ago. There are plenty of campgrounds that don't fill up rather quickly like Lodgepole or Dorst Creek do. I mentioned Stony Creek, which is a great location. I made reservations for Stony Creek maybe six weeks in advance. There were only a couple of sites in my timeframe, but it doesn't book quite as fast as Lodgepole. Then there's Hume Lake and Princess.

I do remember staying in the Giant Forest Village cabins as a kid. That trip included my first bear sighting. However - that was a different era. Building a lodging complex in a giant sequoia grove was something that could have only happened years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 12:15PM by y_p_w.
August 05, 2009 12:47PM
A rich and greedy guy signs my paycheck every week. I have no problem with that, and whining about rich (and not necessarily greedy, calm down now) does nothing to improve the economy. My boss can stay in Yosemite or SEKI hotels all he wants. I won't. He wouldn't stay in a National Park anyway because he can't bag any wildlife. I won't stay in a NP hotel because it ain't my scene. Go back country, or find an out-of-the-way campground, or stay on BLM land, or stay home. Lots of choices out there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login