Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Spectacular Melting Of The Largest French Glacier

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Spectacular Melting Of The Largest French Glacier
August 07, 2009 03:07PM
ScienceDaily (Aug. 7, 2009) — Located over 12 000 kilometers from the Alps, the Kerguelen Islands are home to the largest French glacier, the Cook ice cap (which had an area of around 500 km2 in 1963). By combining historical information with recent satellite data, the glaciologists at the Laboratory for Space Studies in Geophysics and Oceanography (Université Paul Sabatier / CNRS / CNES / IRD) have observed increasingly rapid shrinkage of the ice.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090807091435.htm
avatar Re: Spectacular Melting Of The Largest French Glacier
August 07, 2009 05:28PM
c'est la vi

Yosemite Valley was filled to the brim with ice not very long ago!
August 07, 2009 06:43PM
Vince
c'est la vi

So what's your point, Vince? More of your la-la-la-la with your fingers in your ears because you won't face reality?
August 07, 2009 06:45PM
eeek
Vince
c'est la vi

So what's your point, Vince? More of your la-la-la-la with your fingers in your ears because you won't face reality?

Point?
August 07, 2009 07:05PM
I'll nibble that hook.

Let's see here. Yosemite Valley was filled with ice up to 10,000 years ago and filled to the brim all the way just short of the peak of Half Dome.

Then the ice receded, leaving erratics and scratch marks, and the valley filled with conifers and other wildlife.

Any signs of ice? Nope. The inter-glacial period has not ended.

Please let me know what I missed, I wasn't there 18,000 years ago, nor 1,000, but I was there last Feb. and it was pretty much icy but not filled with it. The tour bus does smell like edibles, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login