Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Slip on the Half a Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 26, 2009 08:05PM
Re: Slip on the Half a Dome
August 27, 2009 11:27AM
Where exactly is this "Half a Dome". I've never heard of a Half a Dome.
avatar Re: Slip on the Half a Dome
August 27, 2009 12:47PM
BobbyLee
Where exactly is this "Half a Dome". I've never heard of a Half a Dome.

Maybe Vince is actually "Half a Italian."
Re: Slip on the Half a Dome
August 29, 2009 09:51PM
This little film is is pretty well done, although it is VERY personal. The subjectivity is thick as peanut butter. In the beginning, where he complains of a "little pain" just above the Vernal Falls bridge, I am thinking, "what is this guy doing here?" I am glad he made it, and he seemed to get tougher and more perceptive as he climbed, but his experience won't equate well to everyone else's.

I recently hiked up Mt. Katahdin in Maine. 10.2 mi. RT, 4,200 feet gain to the top. The toughest hike in New England. There is no doubt in my mind that it was tougher than Half Dome...and probably more dangerous. I encourage anyone to try this walk - it is fabulous, by any of the routes
August 30, 2009 07:23AM
bpnjensen
I recently hiked up Mt. Katahdin in Maine. 10.2 mi. RT, 4,200 feet gain to the top. The toughest hike in New England. There is no doubt in my mind that it was tougher than Half Dome...and probably more dangerous. I encourage anyone to try this walk - it is fabulous, by any of the routes

Congratulations. That is a tough climb that I would like to do one day. It is definitely not a location you want to be at during a late afternoon thunderstorm. My wife and I were camping in that area years ago (when we lived in Maine). On one of the nearby trails close to a couple small lakes we were so badly attacked by mosquitos that they drove us out on the run. There were none out in the open but thick in the deep woods.

Much later I hiked a portion of the AT in Maine from Rangely eastward to Bigelow Mt. This trail went over Saddleback Mt, The Horn, and Little Saddleback Mt., some of the most rugged AT trail west of Mt Katahdin.
August 30, 2009 12:09AM
Not planning to go back to Maine anytime soon. Angels Landing looks like fun but...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login