Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

"Boomeritis" hits aging athletes-- advice for prevention

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar "Boomeritis" hits aging athletes-- advice for prevention
September 19, 2009 05:25PM
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_86412.html
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Fifty may be the new thirty, but baby boomers' bodies haven't heard the news.
Orthopedic surgeons are seeing a "tidal wave" of 45- to 64-year-olds suffering from exercise-related injuries they've dubbed "boomeritis," Dr. Ray Monto, a spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), told Reuters Health.
Exercise- and exercise equipment-related injuries sent more than 166,000 people in this age group to the emergency room, clinic or doctor's office in 2008, according to the US Consumer Products Safety Commission.
These injuries are largely due to people not giving themselves enough time to rest up after tough workouts, according to Monto, an orthopedic surgeon practicing in Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. "You can't beat yourself up the way you did when you were 20 because it takes longer to recover," he said.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: "Boomeritis" hits aging athletes-- advice for prevention
September 19, 2009 06:54PM
There's such a thing as getting old. That's when you buy an SUV and 4x4 your way to where you used to hike.
September 19, 2009 07:17PM
Vince
There's such a thing as getting old. That's when you buy an SUV and 4x4 your way to where you used to hike.

How much is 48 in donkey years?
September 19, 2009 09:09PM
Vince

People with alzheimers should not drive!
September 19, 2009 08:24PM
I don't speak Orange County anymore. It used to be a nice, enviable place. Now it's just a wasteland of overabundance.
Re: "Boomeritis" hits aging athletes-- advice for prevention
September 19, 2009 09:12PM
The "Fifty may be the new thirty" crowd should switch to "living like 50 until you're 80 and beyond" -- Younger Next Year, by Chris Crowley.
September 19, 2009 09:21PM
When I was way younger and covering high school sports for the local paper, we had this really spunky gal coaching one of the high school teams, and the players hated her because she was a spunky old-timer and the kids were dumb inner-city teenage girls (not that inner-city has anything to do with dumb teenagers). I'll never forget what she said (at the time in the mid 80s) "I'm 47 years old and proud of it! I made it this far!" And since now I'm 48...I'm proud of it and I'm going to take a lot more!

Vince
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login