Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Ken Burns' "National Parks" Documentary Reviewed Adversely

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ken Burns' "National Parks" Documentary Reviewed Adversely
September 26, 2009 08:51AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/25/AR2009092500064_pf.html

'National Parks': Camped Out, But Trailing Off
By Hank Stuever
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Ken Burns's "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" was six years in the making and it is 12 hours long, camped out every night this week on PBS, beginning Sunday. It is beautiful and erudite and contains all the underlined importance and swelling emotion that a major Ken Burns moment requires of its viewers, but at least four cumulative hours of it are goshawfully boring. Just like camping with people who love it more than you do. .......

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Ken Burns' "National Parks" Documentary Reviewed Adversely
September 26, 2009 03:48PM
I love reading the comments section in the WaPo
Re: Ken Burns' "National Parks" Documentary Reviewed Adversely
September 28, 2009 03:33PM
Frank Furter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/25/AR2009092500064_pf.html

'National Parks': Camped Out, But Trailing Off
By Hank Stuever
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Ken Burns's "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" was six years in the making and it is 12 hours long, camped out every night this week on PBS, beginning Sunday. It is beautiful and erudite and contains all the underlined importance and swelling emotion that a major Ken Burns moment requires of its viewers, but at least four cumulative hours of it are goshawfully boring. Just like camping with people who love it more than you do. .......

Four sentences of his whining are goshawfully boring. Despite the fact that I learned almost nothing new from Burns in this offering, the first two hour segment was, for me, inspiring all over again. It reminded me strongly of why I went to the mountains to begin with, and cemented for me why I keep going back. Maybe Stuever will stay home with his limited attention span and sour grapes, and complain in front of his boob tube forever - fine with me. Neither the frontcountry nor the wilderness need this malcontent darkening their doorsteps.

I cannot wait to see the next ten hours. Moreover, I cannot wait to go out and explore those parks again and again, and am quite willing to pay my two bits for the greatest, GREATEST bargains on the planet.
avatar Re: Ken Burns' "National Parks" Documentary Reviewed Adversely
September 28, 2009 07:31PM
I think Bruce hit a key point regarding the first episode. It repeatedly made reference to the core reasons we are drawn to the majesty of the High Sierra and other beautiful places. I've never really been able to find all the right words to convey these feelings but they managed to accomplish it with considerable eloquence.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 07:32PM by tomdisco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login