Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Communing with nature

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Communing with nature
October 06, 2009 07:51PM
A scientific study on stuff that we probably already knew.

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2009/10/nature_and_compassion.php
avatar Re: Communing with nature
October 07, 2009 02:54AM
Who's we? Read the bottom line. Green Party, a front for the Communist Party. Read more carefully.
October 07, 2009 08:07AM
?

Old Dude
October 07, 2009 09:34AM
It's hard to make sense of the study on close examination and no links to the original work. Feeling, stress, fear, anti-social emotions are notoriously hard to measure. Even "stress" has no actual measurable medical definition that I am aware of. It is possible to measure epinephrine and cortisol levels as a measure of stress, but it is a leap to assume that changes in these mean anything. Often the psychologial evaluations use linear analog scales with self assessment (for example mark your pain on this 10 cm, 0-10 scale) with the assumption that 2.5 is different than a 2.0.

Could the "prosocial" behavior reflected a sense of anxiety and need to "huddle together" in natural environments? Need to share to survive??
Who knows??

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 09:38AM by Frank Furter.
October 07, 2009 12:24PM
The wife of a best friend of mine is a city girl from the greater Boston area. If you plunked her down in the Sierra wilderness she would freak out with stress. When she visited us once in Maine she firmly believed the small rural town we lived in (complete with neighbors and paved roads) was actually wilderness. Couldn't handle it. I don't think the theory presented would work on her.

Jim
October 07, 2009 06:43PM
And soon there will be lots of snow:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login