Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Gear: Sleeping Pads - suggestions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Gear: Sleeping Pads - suggestions?
June 02, 2009 04:38AM
What kind of sleeping pads are the backpackers of this forum using? Foam-only, air-only, or foam+air?

Has anyone used the therm-a-rest line of sleeping pads? They have a lighter, ridge-rest line of foam pads and heavier, more deluxe air+foam versions such as the trailpro series. I'm more inclined to purchasing the lighter foam pads only because of the weight difference.

Thanks..
avatar Re: Gear: Sleeping Pads - suggestions?
June 02, 2009 06:20AM
For summer / lower elevation : Thermarest ProLite 4 Short - only
For winter / early spring / high elevation : Thermarest Neo Short + Z-Rest Long

For winter or cold Z-Rest on Top. Therma on bottom.
I put my pack for my feet to rest on (and use short therma)

The ProLite 4 is 1 1/2" thick. Neo is 2" thick. Neo is too thick for some people actually.

Neo is more blow up with no core. I like it but don't LOVE it. LOVE the prolite 4.
ThermaRest I think has new version which may be even better (more R) and lighter.
June 02, 2009 06:29AM
The current Prolite model, regular length, R value is 2.2 and is 1 pound:
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/prolite/product

Why do you use short pads rather than regular length pads?
June 02, 2009 06:37AM
Dowwie
Why do you use short pads rather than regular length pads?

Weight. I used the long lengths for years and switched over to the short a couple years
back. I don't see any huge benefit to the longer lengths and I doubt I will go back.
Like I said I put my feet on my pack.

If I were buying I would go with the ProLite Plus Short. It has a much higher R value.
And you will be able to use it longer in the year without another pad.

I and other have mentioned this before... Just buy it from REI and give it a test run.
If you want the regular... just bring it back or vice-versa.
June 02, 2009 08:03AM
I have used the Thermarest Zpad which also serves as the "frame" in the Gossamer Gear pack that I use.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 02, 2009 12:12PM
All depends on your comfort level and the rest of your gear. I use a folded Ridgerest that also serves as my pack frame. In the winter I also add a thermorest Prolite 3 and my pack under my feet to keep me off the snow. I chose the lightest weight vs comfort.
June 02, 2009 07:11PM
I used a full length REI brand Thermarest but thought it was way too big/heavy for any kind of distance. Now I only use that one for lazy/short trips. The short one is the way to go. I have used the plain foam mat before. It is superlight, but in only dulls the rocks under you and has minimal R value. I used some tent seam sealer and put several "dots" of sealant on the bottom of my thermarest -- does a great job to stop the pad from sliding around in the tent if your sight is off level.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login