All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar You don't need a gun to enjoy a national park
June 02, 2009 09:39PM
When I was 11 years old, I papered the walls of my bedroom with pages from gun catalogs. It was an attempt to convince my father that I really wanted a gun. He eventually gave in when I was 12 or 13, and I've owned guns ever since, even carrying one or more in the course of my job duties.

http://www.hcn.org/wotr/you-don2019t-need-a-gun-to-enjoy-a-national-park
avatar Re: You don't need a gun to enjoy a national park
June 02, 2009 09:41PM
I didn't read the article... but just in response to the headline:
"Why the H-E-C-K WOULD you?"
(i.e. if you can't enjoy it WITHOUT one then there is something very sad about your being)
June 02, 2009 09:42PM
bill-e-g
I didn't read the article... but just in response to the headline:
"Why the H-E-C-K WOULD you?"
(i.e. if you can't enjoy it WITHOUT one then there is something very sad about your being)

Yep.
June 02, 2009 10:17PM
The associated comments are a depressing supplement and essentially undermine any optimism suggested by the article.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 02, 2009 10:26PM
Frank Furter
The associated comments are a depressing supplement and essentially undermine any optimism suggested by the article.

Ok. I read the article. And I couldn't agree more... with the article and with "Franks" comment.
June 02, 2009 10:33PM
Frank Furter

Yeah, I noticed that. Sigh.
June 02, 2009 10:35PM
It is interesting to note that some of my friends who are lifelong soldiers, or law enforcement individuals, just don't feel comfortable without their sidearms...I wonder if I will feel that way about my pack after a while....!!!!!!

Bee Cowboy
June 02, 2009 10:38PM
Yes you will.

Old Dude
June 02, 2009 10:48PM
Bee
I wonder if I will feel that way about my pack after a while....!!!!!!

Got an ice axe?
June 03, 2009 07:43AM
Bee
It is interesting to note that some of my friends who are lifelong soldiers, or law enforcement individuals, just don't feel comfortable without their sidearms...I wonder if I will feel that way about my pack after a while....!!!!!!

Bee Cowboy

There are different mentalities around the world regarding guns. Israel, for example, has a limitation on numbers of guns owned; a gun is licensed to a particular person (not a permit process) and that license can be withdrawn, and there is legal liability for gun use except in certain situations. I believe, for example, theft of the gun results in liability to the owner for negligently allowing that theft to occur; guns carried cannot legally be used to stop an event without clear personal threat ( as a fleeing bank robber). It appears that Isreal, as other countries, has a more utilitarian view of gun ownership. (I'm sure I will be corrected if I got this wrong)

In this country, almost any moron can obtain a gun without even a pretense of need, skill, fitness or a background check (sales or transfers between individuals). There are many who have imbued guns with power and prestige as an expression of capacity for self-defense and as the final arbitrator of any disagreement. There are many who have an almost religious obsession with the Second Amendment and seem to lack any sort of balanced view of appropiate personal use of guns. I cannot think of a single gun regulation or gun safety law PROMOTED by the NRA. That suggests to me a lack of appreciation that guns are inherently dangerous and certain actions need to be taken in a civil society to reduce risks associated with them.

This whole issue is like an insidious, slowly replicating but deadly virus spreading inexorably through the population that will be hard to stop and will, at some point, be seen as a tragic, fatal illness in American life.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 02, 2009 10:42PM
Not if I can find enough chick-on "eggs" to put in it....
June 02, 2009 10:49PM
bill-e-g

Fried or poached?
June 02, 2009 10:53PM
eeek
bill-e-g

Fried or poached?

See "Ancient Mystery Solved"
June 02, 2009 11:07PM
bill-e-g
eeek
bill-e-g

Fried or poached?

See "Ancient Mystery Solved"

Fossilized?
June 02, 2009 10:57PM
Chick-on eggs are very unique in that they resemble granite and they weigh no less than 5lbs each!!!! (but they are very pretty)

Bee Cowboy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login