Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

The ancient landscape of the Grand Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar The ancient landscape of the Grand Canyon
February 05, 2010 05:26PM
“Let me just ask you this,” says Rich, our Grand Canyon Field Institute guide, as we near the south rim. “Are you fundamentalist?” We squint, baffled. Nothing about us suggests piety – I’m clutching a strong coffee between two Connolly leather gloves and my fella Eliot is checking the Redskins game on his iPhone. Rich explains that he tries not to offend visitors whose beliefs might conflict with geologic science by, if necessary, editing out times and dates. “I cannot walk into your minds with dirty feet,” he says.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5c7272c4-11e4-11df-b6e3-00144feab49a.html
avatar Re: The ancient landscape of the Grand Canyon
February 05, 2010 05:56PM
I hope that guide does not work for the Park Service! What sense does it make to spin the known science to indulge someone's religious beliefs. Doesn't seem like there is any conflict between true geology and true religious beliefs. Now there may be a conflict between science and pseudoscience-- but that is just an opportunity to inform.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 05, 2010 06:29PM
Frank Furter
Doesn't seem like there is any conflict between true geology and true religious beliefs. Now there may be a conflict between science and pseudoscience-- but that is just an opportunity to inform.

RAS.
February 06, 2010 08:21AM
szalkowski
Frank Furter
Doesn't seem like there is any conflict between true geology and true religious beliefs. Now there may be a conflict between science and pseudoscience-- but that is just an opportunity to inform.

RAS.

Den a Chick-on?

Me no tinks so.

(btw. can someone post some photos of Yosemite besides me?)

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 06, 2010 12:41PM
chick-on
(btw. can someone post some photos of Yosemite besides me?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login