Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Trout fishing on the Merced near El Portal

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trout fishing on the Merced near El Portal
June 03, 2009 09:07AM
Antbody know of any Trout fishing spots west of El Portal in the Merced? Do they even stock trout in this area?

Thanks,

Tom
avatar Re: Trout fishing on the Merced near El Portal
June 03, 2009 09:52AM
I stopped a few miles west of Cedar Lodge for some pictures, somewhere near the western landslide bridge, a few years ago. There was a guy fishing, I dumbly asked how the fishing was. Well, his eyes got real big and he insisted I come see what he had in the back seat of his car. I had to wonder what the guy really wanted, but he really had to show me the lunker trout he had in the cooler in the back seat. Then he pointed out all the good spots along the river in the area. Poor guy telling about the great fishing to someone who really couldn't care less. Whether trout is stocked, I would have to say yes. Whether there are better things to do around Yosemite than stand there and try to trick a fish, definitely yes.
Re: Trout fishing on the Merced near El Portal
June 03, 2009 10:52AM
Oh I agree about there being better things to do in Yosemite, but my 18yr. old son has become bored with Yosemite (We've taken him there every summer since he was born), but he likes to fish so I was looking for something to keep him happy for a few hours while we are up there next week.
June 03, 2009 02:30PM
mtn man
Oh I agree about there being better things to do in Yosemite, but my 18yr. old son has become bored with Yosemite (We've taken him there every summer since he was born), but he likes to fish so I was looking for something to keep him happy for a few hours while we are up there next week.

This may not have anything to do with being bored with Yosemite. He's at that age where going anywhere with Mom & Dad might be considered "geeky".

Jim
June 03, 2009 11:12AM
The river is running so fast right now... probably just wasting your time trying to fish...
June 03, 2009 12:34PM
bill-e-g
probably just wasting your time trying to fish...

Isn't that the purpose of fishing?
June 03, 2009 12:56PM
eeek
bill-e-g
probably just wasting your time trying to fish...

Isn't that the purpose of fishing?

I thought the porpoise was to catch something.

shark

'course you can just go fish-on from your couch:

http://flimmr.passagen.se/movie/beavis_and_butthead_couch_fishing.action
Re: Trout fishing on the Merced near El Portal
June 03, 2009 03:28PM
Figured the river is pretty fast right now, was hoping someone knew where there might bay a little eddy or slow part of the river along the shore. Yeah 18 and going with the parents is a little tough, but for displinary reasons we can't leave him at home.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login