All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar The cost of closing state parks
June 03, 2009 09:52PM
avatar Re: The cost of closing state parks
June 03, 2009 10:14PM
The local NPR station (KXJZ) did a little expose on what it would entail to shut down Sutter's Fort in downtown Sacramento; it was a really depressing story to listen to. The narrator mentioned that parks such as this one with fences and doors to bolt would be the first to go....
June 03, 2009 10:16PM
I just seriously doubt any state park would be shuttered. Knock back the hours they're open, I think is what's going to happen.
Re: The cost of closing state parks
June 04, 2009 08:11AM
It doesn't seem to me that it would even be legal to close them to public access. Get rid of the rangers, the kiosks, employees, is one thing, but close off the trails and access to beaches and forests? How is that one going to sneak by?

The land belongs to the people of the State of California, not some private enterprise. For it to belong to them, but at the same time not allow anyone to use it would probably be illegal...you can't even close off private property access to public places if there is a history of use being allowed.

They don't have to afford anything. I don't need a kiosk or crew to camp or hike at a state park, and can pack out my trash the same as anywhere else. Nor do I need a boardwalk, signs telling me what things are, a picnic table, fire ring, or a large and expensive complex of cables and signs surrounding a beach telling me not to step on snowy dodo eggs.

I think, as it was last time, it's an empty threat to get the legislators to figure out a budget. It gets the public's attention, and they pester the legislators who get tired of it, and so decide they have to get busy.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 08:14AM by Sierrafan.
June 04, 2009 08:18AM
I just heard on the news that corporate tax cuts are going into effect in California. They were part of the budget deal.
June 09, 2009 07:59PM
avatar Interactive: California budget balancer
June 09, 2009 08:50PM
Try your hand at closing California’s budget shortfall, estimated at $24 billion. It’s not easy, but it can be done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-statebudget-fl,0,95571.htmlstory
June 09, 2009 09:20PM
Think Trail Camp. Closed Bathrooms could be an issue at some state parks that are small. William Randolf Hearst State Beach comes to mind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login