All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 04, 2009 04:40PM
Eight or 10 years ago, while being treated to a stay in one of the wonderful little cabins in Yosemite Valley's Curry Village, our host, Bill Jacoby, invited me and my energetic son, Bret, to join him and his son, Michael, on a hike up to the top of Yosemite Falls. Always open to adventure, I readily accepted. Seeing as how I was on the downhill side of fifty, considerably overweight and led a rather sedentary life, it should come as no surprise to anyone to hear that I couldn't make it to the top of the three-and-a-half mile trail that rises more than 2,600 feet in elevation along the way.

http://www.ledger-dispatch.com/sports/sportsview.asp?c=257670
June 04, 2009 04:43PM
Guess they didn't have a goat along: "After three-and-a-half hours, we came to Bluejay Creek, the only remaining crossing, about one mile above the falls. It was not crossable."
June 04, 2009 04:55PM
Bee needs to write an article. I'll proof-read it and check the facts though first...
uh... cause Deborah isn't crossing Yosemite Creek on a log...

That's just an unnamed creek flowing into Yosemite Creek....

"Bee crossing a creeky that a flows into Yosemite Creek (which is 1/2 mile down-creeky)"
June 04, 2009 05:00PM
And Bluejay Creek is a good 2 miles above the falls.

Amatuers.

Goat Stop

Now, who is Obsessed? Hmmm....

it was a nice article... although I also point out that their comment
"hiking after all danger of snow has passed risks water flow so minimal as to make the trek hardly worthwhile"
is goofy...

Go at high water... go back at low water...

IT'S ALL WORTHWHILE!
June 04, 2009 06:25PM
I don't recall authorizing the release of this publicity photo!!

(Hmmm...my desire to own a pair of Goat-Skin gloves is starting to turn into an obsession)

Bee Cowboy
June 04, 2009 06:27PM
Bee
(Hmmm...my desire to own a pair of Goat-Skin gloves is starting to turn into an obsession)

http://www.cornhobble.com/am/B0007VB5W4
June 04, 2009 06:44PM
$28 a pair!!?? For goat??!!

Old Dude
June 04, 2009 07:23PM
No worry -- I know where we can get some goatskin...for freee

Bee Cowboy

BTW, the article is sort of odd in a way. It begins as this all-consuming build-up, and than abruptly cuts off at BlueJay creek (oh contrare; it WAS passable by a log not much different than the one used for the un-named creek that is not Yosemite Creek pictured above) I might have to subscribe to writing trip reports, but I promise to only write about the fun ones...oh, that's right -- they are ALL fun!

Bee Cowboy
June 08, 2009 04:48PM
Bee
(oh contrare; it WAS passable by a log

What if the log was not there?
June 08, 2009 05:28PM
eeek
Bee
(oh contrare; it WAS passable by a log

There were multiple possible crossings. (someone crossed both reeeevers multiple times)
If no logs.... then head upstream... until crossing possible... upstream less water...
or become un-obsessed...
June 08, 2009 06:24PM
eeek

That log that I am shown crossing Blue Jay creek on looks like it has been there a long time; however, its all subjective, because due to the multitudes of pokies on that log, it may have not been an option to a lot of peopleno, stop, enough!

Bee Cowboy
June 04, 2009 05:26PM
The initial paragraph of the article reminds me of a hike to the top of the falls in 1991 or 1992. I came upon a young girl struggling for breath possibly having an asthma attack near the top. I remained around to try to be helpful as rescue efforts had already been initiated. The aspect of the ranger rescue that was most remarkable was that the equipment to extract the distressed hiker was brought in by rangers hiking up the trail. They brought a gurney and some basic medical equipment. Most amazing was a frame mounted single large wheel, like the nose wheel on a small airplane, that must have weighed 50 lbs. A stretcher was mounted on that single wheel and was then guided by a front and rear ranger-medic down the trail. The guy carrying that wheel on his back up hill was really winded and I think in worse shape than the girl with the asthma.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 04, 2009 05:32PM
eeek
Eight or 10 years ago, while being treated to a stay in one of the wonderful little cabins in Yosemite Valley's Curry Village....

What?
June 04, 2009 05:51PM
szalkowski
eeek
Eight or 10 years ago, while being treated to a stay in one of the wonderful little cabins in Yosemite Valley's Curry Village....

What?

Wonderful as compared to trying to cross Blue Jay Creek?
June 04, 2009 06:57PM
Bluejay Creek crossing is shown here:

<http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,12019,12083#msg-12083>;

And... those goats... gotta make a Profit! Baaaaaaaauyy... them!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login