All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sequoia: Illegal Marijuana Plantation Raided
June 05, 2009 03:00PM
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (CA)
Illegal Marijuana Plantation Raided

On Wednesday, May 27th, an NPS special agent, numerous protection rangers from Sequoia and Kings Canyon, Hawaii Volcanoes, and Yosemite National Parks, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agents, and California Department of Fish and Game wardens raided a marijuana grow site inside the southwestern boundary of Sequoia National Park. Due to the extremely steep, brushy terrain, lack of helicopter landing sites, lack of trails and access points, high daytime temperatures, and other safety and security concerns, rangers employed helicopter short-haul techniques to access the site. A tactical team, including a canine unit, was flown to an insertion site near the grow site. While a second team of rangers was being inserted into an opening in the vegetation some distance away, the first rangers spotted a man near the short-haul insertion site and took him into custody. He was linked to the marijuana patch and a firearm, flown out in a litter with a law enforcement attendant, and subsequently charged with several felonies. More than 2,400 plants were removed from the site, each valued at about $4,000. A Customs and Border Protection Blackhawk helicopter and crew took part in the operation, and also played a vital role in finding additional grow sites in the area. ICS was used to manage the incident.
avatar Re: Sequoia: Illegal Marijuana Plantation Raided
June 05, 2009 03:57PM
Let me make a wild guess...the man arrested as a Spanish surname...
June 05, 2009 04:06PM
Vince

Let me make a wild guess: if the above happens to be true, then his first name is Vicente.
June 05, 2009 07:25PM
Vince

Just a wee bit racist are we?
June 05, 2009 07:40PM
eeek
Vince

Just a wee bit racist are we?

Nope. Seems as though most of these marijuana stories winds up with a hispanic involved. Have you seen California's most wanted list?
June 06, 2009 11:47AM
Vince

OK, perhaps, that might be the case. So take it beyond that initial observation- what does it mean or imply?

What are the social, political, criminal, and cultural factors at work here?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Sequoia: Illegal Marijuana Plantation Raided
June 06, 2009 01:38PM
Frank Furter
Vince

OK, perhaps, that might be the case. So take it beyond that initial observation- what does it mean or imply?

Who cares... The law is the law!
June 06, 2009 01:55PM
Ryno98
Frank Furter
Vince

Who cares... The law is the law!

I guess I would be curious if there were a pattern of some sort. Just intellectual curosity.
Not much value in demonizing someone as a member of a group unless you hold the view that a particular group is per se inherently amoral. If you hold that view, then it seems that you are implicating a genetic or racial explanation for behavior and isn't that what we call racism? For the most part we have decided racism is a socially and morally unacceptable way to view actions of individuals or groups of people.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 05, 2009 07:24PM
They needed a protection ranger from Hawaii Volcanoes?

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login