Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rattlesnakes on Sierra Point trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rattlesnakes on Sierra Point trail
June 05, 2009 09:38PM
When I did the Sierra Point trail last summer, it was the closest I've ever come in Yosemite to getting nailed by a rattlesnake. I had close encounters with 3 of them actually. 2 of them were relaxing in the large boulder field you have to navigate before even picking up the trail. And the other 1 was basking in the sun directly on the trail about 1/2 way up to Sierra Point. I actually came within a few feet, surprised him, and fell on my back in horror as he rose up ready to strike. So I'm just saying, be careful if you're doing this trail.
avatar Re: Rattlesnakes on Sierra Point trail
June 05, 2009 10:11PM
SteveHall
When I did the Sierra Point trail last summer, it was the closest I've ever come in Yosemite to getting nailed by a rattlesnake. I had close encounters with 3 of them actually. 2 of them were relaxing in the large boulder field you have to navigate before even picking up the trail. And the other 1 was basking in the sun directly on the trail about 1/2 way up to Sierra Point. I actually came within a few feet, surprised him, and fell on my back in horror as he rose up ready to strike. So I'm just saying, be careful if you're doing this trail.

Just curious: what time of day, approx. date of year, any other conditions (hot dry, raining etc?)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Rattlesnakes on Sierra Point trail
June 07, 2009 10:29PM
The time was mid to late July and the temperature was probably around 90F in the middle of the day. Scared the heck out of me, and I'm a seasoned hiker.
June 08, 2009 10:34PM
I am surprised to read about the snake that was basking in the direct sunlight in 90 degree temps -- usually they are in the shadow zones, between rocks, ledges, etc, when it gets that warm.
June 08, 2009 11:06PM
Bee
usually they are in the shadow zones, between rocks, ledges, etc, when it gets that warm.

Or lined up wall to wall in the Pate Valley. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login