All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar With Bodie ghost town targeted for closure, what becomes of the past?
June 08, 2009 09:36PM
If you cease funding and maintenance of a ghost town and it crumbles and fades into the landscape, what happens to the ghosts?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/06/bodie-ghost-town-among-parks-slated-for-closure-what-becomes-of-the-past.html
avatar Re: With Bodie ghost town targeted for closure, what becomes of the past?
June 08, 2009 09:49PM
Uh...
Those that do not learn from the past are doomed to step in it?
avatar Re: With Bodie ghost town targeted for closure, what becomes of the past?
June 08, 2009 10:08PM
eeek
If you cease funding and maintenance of a ghost town and it crumbles and fades into the landscape, what happens to the ghosts?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/06/bodie-ghost-town-among-parks-slated-for-closure-what-becomes-of-the-past.html

And now my friends are all gone
There's no one left to toast
They leave me here in my misery
Like some poor wandering ghost

VOLUNTEER!

Anyone ever thought of that? People genuinely interested in the subject actually go there and do what needs to be done.

Yes, it is simple as that. Let the phonycrats argue about how to take your money. Meanwhile, you take your country back.

Ask these two if Bodie is worth the effort.

(click on the photo for the gazillion megapixel version)

What saved Bodie as a park in the first place? Nevada dropped the ball BIG TIME on saving history (except for Virginia City).

People like you, and me, people who were raised correctly (i.e. RIGHT)

No excuse of "I was only three years old," that's reserved for the presidency
June 08, 2009 10:11PM
So Bodie is in Nevada?
June 08, 2009 10:14PM
bill-e-g
So Bodie is in Nevada?

Dumb post of the day.

Aurora was in California and was the county seat of Mono County till the lines were surveyed more correctly.

C'mon bill you should have more sense than that.
June 08, 2009 10:24PM
Vince
bill-e-g
So Bodie is in Nevada?

Dumb post of the day.

Aurora was in California and was the county seat of Mono County till the lines were surveyed more correctly.

C'mon bill you should have more sense than that.

It wasn't a literal question.
June 08, 2009 10:52PM
Vince

The first clue that Aurora was actually in Nevada should have been the fact that Leroy Vining accidentally shot and killed himself with his own gun while in a saloon there.
June 08, 2009 10:56PM
Honestly I didn't know anything about Aurora until now.
It's kinda sad it ended up the way it did. Coulda been something really special.
June 08, 2009 10:40PM
Guess Aurora should have been "left" in California...
June 08, 2009 10:53PM
bill-e-g
Guess Aurora should have been "left" in California...

I have no beef with you, bill, I know when the chain's been yanked...I'm playing along.

Aurora paralleled and in some ways even exceeded Bodie as far as what was left after the people scurried off. The cemetery is still there but, while California grabbed Bodie for state park uses in the early 60s, Aurora was left alone and Nevada didn't do anything about it. Aurora had fabulous brick buildings, what history you can read of it, the brick, and pretty much everything else, was hauled off to Los Angeles. Very sad chapter. But Nevada seems to be like that, just leave things be, if you want this, take it, if you don't, leave it. If you look at a night time sat photo of Nevada, you will see the bright lights of Vegas and Pahrump, and the bright lights of Truckee Meadows, and a few splotches along I-80, the rest of the state looks like N. Korea.
June 08, 2009 10:58PM
Thanks for filling in some of the gaps in the story; I am not familiar with any of the Ghost Towns, or much of anything in the southern part of the state.
June 08, 2009 11:11PM
Bee
Thanks for filling in some of the gaps in the story; I am not familiar with any of the Ghost Towns, or much of anything in the southern part of the state.

Define "Southern" LOL, you need to get over on this side of the hill once in a while, B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login